Scene File Settings Help??

everybodyclap

Active member
I'm about to start production on a documentary that will follow one main character in his professional and personal life. I'll be shooting both indoors and outdoors, day and night. I plan on shooting 24p, shutter off, 4:3.

I'd love some advice/suggestions on the scene file settings. I know these are matters of "personal choice", but my eye just isn't developed enough to know the difference in some cases, or if I can discern a difference, I'm not always sure what look will be best for broadcast/DVD (I'm not anticipating theatrical, but who knows...). I figured I'd take advantage of some more experienced folks' knowledge.

Are there any standard scene file settings that work best for 24p docs? Or personal choices that have worked for some of you in the past?

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts on this.
 
that sounds good to me, but i'd have the exact same questions on the post-end that i have now. so i guess i'd like to know why thats your suggested method. and can you get the same specific variations in post as easily (and cheaply) as you can by changing the scene file settings?
 
Actually, from what I understand, you should get as close to your final image in camera as possible. This was my understood logic when I heard it:

Think of your camera color space. It will contain 256 color (although, I think the blacks start at 16, not 0, so your actual space is a bit less, no pun intended). Now your colors can only be shifted so much without blowing out in post.

So by adjusting colors, levels, etc. in camera, you are "shifting" that 256 range in the camera to include more color info than if you were to do it after the fact. I also believe that this was all done in camera BEFORE the miniDV compression, so there's more info to move around.

I remember somone on this forum explaining it VERY well, and I'm probably really mixing up the info, so someone else PLEASE correct me if I am mistaken.

Warm regards,
Scott
 
Think of your camera color space. It will contain 256 color (although, I think the blacks start at 16, not 0, so your actual space is a bit less, no pun intended). Now your colors can only be shifted so much without blowing out in post.

There's a column in this month's DV magazine about this topic (601 luminescence). It's written by Trish and Chris Meyer. It's worth a read.
 
"shutter off" is auto shutter....you dont want to do that. if ur shooting 24p shoot 1/48th or 1/60th a basic scene file would probably have master ped at like -3 or something chroma up a little color temp and chroma phase in the middle....if ur shooting 24p u prob would like cine gamma as well. then level detail settings alone in the middle....thatll give you a solid well saturated image thats pretty netrual but not flat which is what ull get if ur all 0ed out
 
i was under the impression that "shutter off" was equivilant to 1/50, which is hardly different than 1/48th and thus not even noticable.

would you mind briefly explaining the advantage to having master ped at -3?

thanks so much for the input.
 
-3 will deepen the blacks just a tad...most people consider 0 to be somewhat flat. master ped controls black levels if you didnt not know. I dont even know about shutter off I just assumed it was auto....Im too lazy to pick up my dvx and even check I owuld just shoot 1/48th or set it at 1/50th either way.
 
Back
Top