Right way to editing a feature?

amiga500

Active member
I'm used to edit short films, so the timeline is pretty short, 15 minutes max.
Now I was wonder how to edit a 1.5 hours feature on FCP, Do I have to edit everything in a single timeline? Several sequences?

thanks.
 
There are many approaches to editing feature length but organization is very important. Also depending on your computer, having everything on your time line may start to slow down the editing process. I personally like to edit scenes individually. Then I start to group scenes together to see how they work with each other. Then I bring all the groups together. With each step I'm editing for different reasons. The first edit is to make the scenes work, continuity. Then when I group the scenes, my edit is more about pacing "How they work with the rest of the film". Temp music tracks will also help with pacing. But most important be organized. Take notes. Name things in a consistent way.
 
Last edited:
I cut my content down to time, then go from the top with music and b-roll, then go from the top with layers of love (effects, transitions, sweetening, ect), then I go from tthe top finishing everything.
Same work flow for short for too. I waiste no time treating shots that will wind up on the cutting room floor.
 
Back
Top