Resolution: Online or Offline editing

jezbond

Active member
Hi all...

I'm working on a PC with a firewire card and my DVX100a. I run Adobe Premiere 6.0

My first question to you is this. Am I online editing? Or I am offline editing? (i think online)

Secondly I want to get the highest resolution output from the computer and am having problems. I am shooting some great stuff but as soon as I go into the computer down the firewire (as native DV right?) Premiere saves each capture as an AVI. Without editing or exporting or anything I can play that AVi in Windows MEdia Player and see a loss of quality already.

Is that right? What can I do to output high res video suitable for playing on large TVs and even projection for corporates??

Help much appreciated

Thanks

Jez
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

In my humble opinion - Watching AVI in media player blows! Others may disagree.

Here is a free app that you can watch the AVI with better quality.

http://www.videolan.org/

Also keep in mind if you try to watch the DV files full screen on your PC monitor it will look fuzzy. DV is 720 x 480 so not very big.

The DV footage is compressed as well. Others here can maybe give some more technical answers as well.
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

I am a little confused so please clarfiy. Why is it that the 'size' of DV as you say will make it fuzzy on a computer monitor? If it is high resolution (native DV) you should be able to blow up without loss of quality if mantaining the same aspect ratio, no? And how does the suggested download help this? Sorry to be so useless! Thanks so much for your response. Look forward to hearing more! THANKS
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

[quote author=jezbond link=board=Premier;num=1107003357;start=0#2 date=01/29/05 at 15:05:43]If it is high resolution (native DV) you should be able to blow up without loss of quality if mantaining the same aspect ratio, no? [/quote]

Well, no. You can't make it any size you want. Just like any digital image, the bigger you stretch or zoom it the "fuzzier" it will look. Like zooming in with a photo program. The more you zoom the worse it looks. Best way to see this in a "hands on" way is take a photo from the internet, open it in the windows viewer and keep zooming in and you will see it get less and less appealing. Sorry if I can't make this a tad easier to understand  :-/

If you want to see your clips bigger, output it from the NLE through the camera out to a TV.

[Computer via Firewire to Camera - Camera video out to TV]

Hope this helps a tad.

The download is for a player. I find the DV clips look better IMO. I don't like Media Player.
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

Windows had a problem with older versions of windows media player. Get version 10 it should fix the problem.

Other fix is go to start - run, type "mplayer2" hit enter.

This opens the old version of media player. Then, open a dv avi clip in the media player. Pause playback in the middle, hit right mouse button on the paused video, click properties.

advanced tab, properties on the dv video decoder. Make sure it is set to full D1 and hit save as default at the bottom and click ok. Now, you should have full dv rez in the player.
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

Okay Soarprod thanks for that. Did it and in Mplayer2 and it was set corrctly - but have 10 anyway I think (that would be the latest automatic update with windows).

Dakota - i understand what you are saying, thanks for the description. So basicall goes back to what you told me originally - that DV is not very big, ie not very high res. Can you explain, as this is the case, how films shot on DV have been broadcast and viewed on large TVs and sometimes on the big screen at the cinema? IS this to do with the compression you mention? If so how do I overcome this? THANKS
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

I can't really explain it technically, sorry. Hopefully some of the big brains here can. It's not the compression but the display. The computer monitor is different then a TV. You can output the 720 x 480 image to a TV or projector and it will look good at 27" or 50" or whatever. You zoom that same 720 x 480 on the computer and it gets degraded. Hook up your output through the camera to any TV as described above and you will see the image looks better on a TV. As best as I can put it the TV displays a smaller resolution (screen size) then the computer monitor. So filling the TV screen requires less resolution then filling the computer screen. Hopefully someone here smarter then me can answer you better.  :-[
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

That actually was a pretty good explination Dakota, can't think of anything that I might add, except, look at how close you are sitting to your TV and look at how close you are sitting to you computer monitor. The pixels on the monitor are so much smaller than those of a TV, but if you are farther away from the TV then you won't be able to tell.
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

thanks guys that does help. an way to change the amount of compression that premiere uses o convert the cpature into the AVI for editing - or is that fixed?
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

Fixed. Prem does not compress when it captures. The Camera does that when you shoot.
 
Re: Resolution: Online or Offline editing

I don't know if this is patronising, but when I was new to this game, I realised the interlacing (which of course, a computer shows up in all its 'glory') makes the picture look quite horrible, when of course, displayed on a TV, it looks great!

So maybe it's the interlacing (if you're shooting in 50i?) that you're seeing?

Just a thought. Probably wrong! :)
 
Back
Top