Rendering...

BigE

New member
Can I somehow affect to the speed of the rendering? Just wondering cause in my first project the rendering process was almost 10 times faster than on my current project...?
Have I perhaps done something to make it slower or why is that? Now it takes about 6 minutes to render one minute of footage, when it earlier took only maybe 40sek.

Playing with Premier pro 1.5
1,8Ghz
1024MB RAM

I have a feeling that I will feel a bit stupid after someone answers :cheesy:
 
Are you storing the captured files on the same drive as your system files? Are you applying filters,color correction, etc? If so, it may take longer to render. You may have to defrag maybe. Or your computer probably needs someone to perform an exorcism.
 
Yeah, things like animated titles/frames, color correction and filters will all slow down rendering noticeably
 
BigE,
defragment your drive and reboot your computer before you render.

If your clip has much action in it, rendering will take longer.
 
I did defragment my computer and rebooted it but still not any signicant difference...
How is it in general, how normal does it sound that it takes about 7,5min to render 1min 30s of film with my equiptment(said earlier)?
 
BigE said:
I did defragment my computer and rebooted it but still not any signicant difference...
How is it in general, how normal does it sound that it takes about 7,5min to render 1min 30s of film with my equiptment(said earlier)?

it all depends on the amount of filters and what not you add plus more CPU power helps with render speeds. So there's really no way of determining an exact time of how long it takes. Having dual processors and Hyperthreading helps great.
 
first question has got to be, how much more complicated is this project compared to the one that rendered so fast?

now the basics, what is in the computer your running premiere on?

pentium 4? xeon? what speed is it and how much memory?

mathew
 
There isn´t a big difference between the two projects -they have about the same filters(levels adjustment) and effects... the current project has couple of more layers though and sliding titles through the movie (except the beginning... Still no significant difference when rendering the beginning or the end of the movie)

My computer has 1.8Mhz AMD prosessor and 1024MB (333Hz) of RAM...

In the first project I think it was first as slow as now, but then suddently it came 10 times faster at some point... I must have done something there that made it faster.
 
all i can suggest is when you have one that is extra slow turn off the layers one at a time and see when it stop being slow.

i'm not familar with athlon stuff, i am strictly intel, what intel chip/speed is similar to the athlon 1.8?

matthew
 
Having rendered files significantly slows down the editing in Premiere. Don't know if this slows down render times as well. You may want to try deleting all the rendered files, then try rendering again just to see.
 
Some things to consider, in order get max performance (as well as faster rendering) from your machine as is.

1) Always disable antivirus software when running Premiere!

2) Disable the system restore functionality on all drives (Win xp only)

3) Use a decent raid 0 set of disks (There's also an external raid set out now named G-RAID http://www.videoguys.com/gtech.html which works on both macs and pc's using firewire 400,800 and USB II 220$ 120gb)

4) Disable themes (Use windows classic) wallpapers and other eye candy from your machine.

5) Disable system services that you don't need, there many guides on the net on which ones to disable, just google it.

6) Use a proper defragmenter like PerfectDisk or Diskeeper (The first is better) and do a defrag every 3 days at least.

7) Finally don't install anything on your machine that you don't feel its absolutely essential for your work.
 
I find different file type output takes different time frames to render. For example for me to render a matrox rt avi file takes minutes (matrox being my capture card) while the same file rendered out as a microsoft dv avi takes forever...Hope this helps.
 
When I export my video to MPEG2-DVD and I change the quality, the encoder will fill the memory of the computer, and then returns a message: Invalid memory. What can I do to avoid this?
 
Back
Top