Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Guest

Guest
Big question: I can down load my film from the DVX100 onto my powerbook G4 editing system. When I'm done editing, I can down the footage from my powerbook back onto the DVX100.

When I need to make a VHS tape then I hook up the DVX100 to my VCR and copy from the mini dv onto the VHS tape.

Okay here is the question, A few years ago I did a film on Beta and a film on 35mm. Fotocam in Los Angeles down load both projects onto a vhs tape for me so I can start planning my edit, since I didn't have a Beta Machine or a 35mm reel. (this is before I learned about the Power book laptop for editing)

So what I need to do is copy the vhs tape onto my mini dv tape that is in my DVX100 so I can down load it onto my laptop so I can start editing my old project.

Any ideas out there?????

Tina
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

Well, you don't even have to do that.  All you really have to do is play the VHS tape THROUGH your DVX into your laptop (if you can do a live capture, as though recording live from the DVX).

Hook up your VCR into the RCA inputs on the DVX (use the S-Video if your VCR has that output).  Set your DVX to VCR mode.  With your DVX plugged into your laptop through FireWire, play the tape in the VCR.  You should be able to capture the output from your VCR in your laptop now.
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

I'd recommend recording onto miniDV, then transferring. In my experience (NOTE: I haven't tried with the DVX, just with other cameras), audio/video sync drifts when "playing through" the camera as described above, but does not when playing back from the recorded miniDV tape. The drift is clearly noticeable for clips more than 20 minutes. Where this drift enters the system (generally in the NLE, it seems) has been discussed elsewhere on the forum...

If anyone can address whether the DVX has this problem (since I think it's better/different at generating timecode from the cameras I've used), please let us know!

But until then, dub to miniDV, then import from miniDV... you get a backup to boot!

-Barry
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

You can actually do both at the same time. You can record to mini-DV while you capture on your laptop. That way, if there's no problem with the sound sync, then you haven't taken up more time than you needed. If there IS a problem, you can then re-capture using the mini-DV dub, and you haven't used any extra time by so doing.

Note, too, that it works in the opposite direction as well -- when you play out from your NLE to mini-DV, with the video/audio out connected to your VCR, you can record directly. Here, however, by the nature of the software, you will most likely to be required to run mini-DV while you do it.
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

I tried to get it to down load but nothing happened. I hook the dvx100 up to the vcr and was able to play the tape in the dvx100 onto the vcr as if I was going to copy it but when I played the vhs tape in the vcr I couldn't see it on the dvx100. I tried both camera and vcr format on the dvx but still wasn't able to see the vhs tape playing in the dvx-vcr.

I also tried channel 03, line 1 and line 2 on the reg vcr and that didin't work. I have to use line 2 too record from the dvx onto the vhs.

H E L P!!!!!
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

I just did it on mine . . . not sure why it's not working for you.

The only thing I can say is to go into the menu screen while in VCR mode and go to "AV In/Out Setup" and set it to "A_IN" -- can't hurt to try. Then be sure your VCR is outputting to the line you have plugged into your DVX.
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

I finelly got a picture on my DVX. But still have a problem:

The front of the VCR has RCA plug in and that is what I use to down load my film footage from the DVX onto the VCR machine.

It turns out that the RCA plug in on the back of the VCR needs to be plug into the DVX RCA plug in to get the picture that the VCR is playing.

So now I have what is playing on the VCR is now playing on the DVX LCD monitor but I still can not record that onto my mini dv tape that is in my DVX???

I hook my laptop up to the DVX and wasn't able to get a picture. When I press input on the laptop, the only thing it would down load is the blank footage from the tape in the DVX.

So I still need some help. Did you actully record anything from your VHS tape onto your Mini Dv Tape?
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

On the VCR -> A/V IN/OUT setup screen, make sure DV OUT is set to "ON". When this is done, whatever's on your LCD should be going out over 1394.

The fact that you say you're getting footage from the tape rather than from the AV lines in seems to indicate that the tape is being played... make sure you're properly engaging the record mode!

I don't have a DVX user guide handy, but I'm sure it had a section on this.... I think you can download a PDF from panasonic...

-Barry
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

I'm either as dumb as a rock or I'm doing something wrong?

I got the image from the VCR playing on the small LCD Monitor which is attach to the side of the DVX100. But I still can't seem to get it to record for me. I keep pushing record and nothing happens. I also tried the A/V IN/OUT setup screen, making sure DV OUT is set to "ON", and still nothing. Hook up the laptop to the DVX and wasn't able to download anything.

The only thing I can do is download footage FROM my DVX (mini dv tape) onto the VHS tape but what I want to do is download footage FROM my VHS tape onto my DVX (mini dv tape).

I hate the idea of taking my rough cuts to one of those video copy places and have them transfer the footage onto the mini dv for an outrages amount of money. And on top of that they would have copies of my raw footage of my film!!!!! They want me to drop it off and in a week they would call me to come and pick it up.

Can someone that has both VCR and a DVX do a test run and see if they can transfer VHS onto the Mini Dv?
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

OK -- just to be sure -- you ARE purshing BOTH "record" buttons (the grey and the red), right?
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

No? But will go and try that now and let you know what happens, thanks
 
Re: Record off the VHS onto the DVX100

just wanted to give you a big thanks, it works now.

tina
 
Back
Top