Receiving feedback on this short story (1-2min) would be wonderful

Filmtastisk

New member
Hi all :)


I´ve worked out the question which I posted earlier in this forum and now I´ve finished my first draft. I also want to thank everyone who responded to that thread.


The film is for an annual filmmaking contest that aims to raise prostitution awareness and attempts to change the minds of potential customers.


(I wrote it in more of a "me telling you the story" form than a screenplay form as I was unsure how to properly write a screenplay where the story is progressed through the camera, rather than through characters, though I will do it before principal photography. )


It would be a real delight to receive feedback.








Working Title: Thousand




We open up to a close up of a white origami paper crane hanging from the ceiling by a thin thread. As we push farther out it is unveiled that hundreds of its kind are hanging alongside of it. They hang in a dusty lower middle class apartment.


At the far end of the room we can make out the contours of a black haired girl sitting at a wooden desk, which is positioned up against a closed window.


Moving in closer on the girl we observe her folding a new paper crane. Though we never see her face, her hands are decisively Asian, veering towards Japanese. Japanese ornaments spread across the apartment further support this notion.


As we watch her fold, our eyes are drawn to peculiar items of interest that are sprinkled throughout her messy desk. She has two cell phones lying next to each other, she carries a little knife in her purse and she has turned a row of picture frames on her windowsill face down (I´m likely to expand on this list of items).


There´s one particular item on her desk that the camera quickly grows fond of, an open folded partly torn magazine. The edit begins to move back and forth between the folding of the crane and moving closer in on this magazine. The magazine is filled with adverts, though we cannot make out most of the text. Shortly afterwards the camera grinds to a halt on one particular advert. It is a red box filled with a telephone number and text that mentions an escort service. In the middle of the ad is a picture of an Asian girl in a red dress; the camera still crops the face. The magazine was a contact magazine akin to this http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2009/06/escort_ads-thumb.jpg


The girl at the desk has now finished the crane she was folding and she places it on her desk. As the camera stares at the finished crane we can make out a red dress lying on top of a closet door in the far background.


The final shot is of her (in a way that I am not yet determined) adding a number on a count of how many paper cranes she has folded out of a thousand.








The length of the film will be 1-2 minutes.


Also if you where left perplexed, what the girl is attempting to accomplish is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes
 
Could be a nice little short -- I am envious because I like the all indoors for controlled light and audio, easy access location, possibilities for interesting cinematography and use of DOF for reveals.

EDIT: I would like to see some element added to the story to introduce conflict (drama)-- if even conflict between the protagonist and herself, decision, etc.

Write it up as a short script.

How will you show this if the knife is hidden in her purse, or is the purse open so we see this, or does she place a knife into her purse?
"she carries a little knife in her purse "

Now get busy-- you have quite a bit of origami folding to do for your props!
 
Last edited:
EDIT: I would like to see some element added to the story to introduce conflict (drama)-- if even conflict between the protagonist and herself, decision, etc.
!

In my mindset, the conflict of the story comes from the prostitute finding herself in such a state of melancholy as a result of her vocation that she can only find hope in attempting to send a prayer to the spirits and skies. A prayer that many might call futile.

Now get busy-- you have quite a bit of origami folding to do for your props!

I´ve got a good amount, thankfully my good old lads 1 and 0 are offering assistance in filling out the blanks.
 
Last edited:
Not sure I know what "Asian" hands look like compared to all others. Do they have more fingers than I do? And specifically Japanese? Really? I've known plenty of Asians and can't say I've never noticed anything uniquely characteristic about their hands that made them identifiable over all others.

I think visually what you described could be pretty powerful if lit, shot and edited well. You never mention age, but that could be conveyed by the hands, feet, etc.
 
It needs modification, it needs your character looking at adverts with regular jobs like most people do.
 
Hi all :)


(I wrote it in more of a "me telling you the story" form than a screenplay form as I was unsure how to properly write a screenplay where the story is progressed through the camera, rather than through characters, though I will do it before principal photography. )

You can write a standard formatted screenplay, wherein no dialog takes place, and even no location changes... I do think it would assist you in communicating your 'movie' in your head to others, like myself...

That's said... I don't 'see' much going on here... It at the moment does not convey any 'sense' of melancholy, or that this person is a working prostitute at all... could be a girl working in a <undisclosed asian location> sweatshop, sewing high priced 'brand name' shirts, for pennies an hour, that are sold in 1st world countries for top dollar...

The 'contact' news paper, also doesn't lead me to the inevitable conclusion of sex work... who knows, perhaps the woman is debating... sex work, or piece work... which pays better???

As a note, I think having the woman making her origami animals out of the 'contact' newspaper would be better connection... I think some sort of 'sex stuff', posters of sexy women in provocative poses, equipment that may be used for the 'fetish' client, a stack of condom boxes, etc. that wouldn't ordinarily be in a 'worker' bedroom.

That in juxtaposition to the 'origami' may work better, and the origami are 'cute', to contrast the 'hard core' surroundings.
 
Visually you've thought up some very nice shots, but yes, the 'drama' is a bit too subtle.

I like j1clark's idea of her folding the origami out of pages from the very magazine/newspaper containing the escort service ads, that could be a great 'something is wrong' hint to the audience as they see the beautiful origami being made from nasty sleazy ads (illustrated ads would be even better, if you can find some appropriate photos - don't just rip off stuff from the internet).

That will also tie in nicely with the ending where the audience realises the origami girl and the girl in the final ad are one and the same.

But as to drama, hmm, you have a nice intro to an escort/prostitute character with an interesting orgami hobby, but we have no info re whether she's happy/miserable/whatever, so no tension/conflict/drama. Even if the audience gets the thousand crane reference (which few will), that merely indicates she's wishing for something - great, but who of us doesn't wish for something? You could perhaps hint at her sadness with e.g. tears running down her face, but even then, why is she sad? It's a big jump to assume it's because she hates her job.
 
Have a guy leave the room, don't even have to show him, but show a hand on the door, curtain whatever. Then use the "cranes" to represent how many men she's had to sleep with as a hooker. Same as a gunman back in the day who scratched his rifle with every kill. You can have her say, "This one is for you Jon, thanks for the good time." Then place single crane next to a other cranes. As you pull back, it's only then when we see the truckload of cranes and "get it" that she's slept with many.
 
Last edited:
Another thought, if she's getting paid you could use $1 bill to make the crane. For a more cinematic look I would use red construction paper.

Reveal the cranes at the end not at the beginning. Show us she is making a crane to represent the guy she just slept with. Place the crane alone on the desk or alongside a few others. It's only then when you pull upward to see all the cranes hanging from the ceiling.

I would rename the short to "Cranes" or to "The Red Crane" if you use red construction paper.
 
...
that merely indicates she's wishing for something - great, but who of us doesn't wish for something? You could perhaps hint at her sadness with e.g. tears running down her face, but even then, why is she sad? It's a big jump to assume it's because she hates her job.

Well, this is someone else's project... And as I hinted in my post, this scene could be 'transported' to a worker in a sweatshop, locked, no escape, just about as easily... or a clerk in a cubicle surrounded by an impersonal army of other clerks equally isolated in their 'cells'...

If one doesn't have a clear image of a prostitute's work place, well, go research... perhaps there are some halfway houses in the area which one can arrange an interview with some of the staff or members to get a better grip on 'the reality'...

A script, and this is just my opinion... not based on any big wig guru... must be suggestive for an actor or actress to 'see themselves' in this place, and feel what such a person would feel, and give visible screen expression to that feeling.

It does no good, as far as I'm concerned to list 'melancholy'... what does that look like on screen.... what does an actor/actress look like 'feeling' such... who knows...

But moving along... There's the origami props. One could also have cut outs of the escort pages, of the woman in various poses, taped on a mirror, or the like. That would give a clear identification of who this person is, and what her business is.

One could also have a 'straight' newspaper job advertisement, with some 'no experience necessary' entries circled.

I would also drop the 'asian' characterization... unless of course one is in an 'asian' country. I'd describe the woman as if she were living next door...
 
Last edited:
Another thought, if she's getting paid you could use $1 bill to make the crane. For a more cinematic look I would use red construction paper.

Reveal the cranes at the end not at the beginning. Show us she is making a crane to represent the guy she just slept with. Place the crane alone on the desk or alongside a few others. It's only then when you pull upward to see all the cranes hanging from the ceiling.

I would rename the short to "Cranes" or to "The Red Crane" if you use red construction paper.

The problem with using 'real money' in situations like this... someone will steal it... Perhaps folding money into the origami figure... so "We See...' her efforts to hide her money(*)... and then placing the figure in a drawer filled with similar figures... to give the connection that she's been at this a long time...

*In the film "Unforgiven"(1992), the prostitutes are coming up with the cash to pay for their revenge on two customers who slashed the face of one of the women. There are 'surprises' all around as to how much the women have sequestered away... probably to 'get somewhere else' eventually...
 
I like this. Some possible thoughts . . .

As camera pans back from hands, reveals girl is semi-nude while folding crane, back to camera, air of dejected serenity. . .

possible Close:
back to wide shot to include door. Door bursts open, another prostitute highly agitated motions first to hurry.

First slowly sets down crane, lovingly caresses one of overturned pictures, then snatches up condom, throws red dress over head as she rushes out the door.

Mixed feelings about using mag pages for cranes. I think I'd lean toward bright white paper in otherwise dingy room - aiming for a sense of purity amongst . . . .

Hope this might help, Looking forward to what you come up with.

Best wishes
 
Last edited:
Have a guy leave the room, don't even have to show him, but show a hand on the door, curtain whatever. Then use the "cranes" to represent how many men she's had to sleep with as a hooker. Same as a gunman back in the day who scratched his rifle with every kill. You can have her say, "This one is for you Jon, thanks for the good time." Then place single crane next to a other cranes. As you pull back, it's only then when we see the truckload of cranes and "get it" that she's slept with many.
When i read his script first time i thought exactly that, i thought that her cranes represent numbers of men she slept with and there is NO WAY i would ever root for her if this would be like that, i wanted to stop reading it actually, it would be very bad idea and would make her sex counter/machine instead of human being, i hate this idea and i dont get why even make a movie when yo dont have any character to root for.
*But im against using hookers as main protagonists anyway, they always want to discover true love or whatever another world and yet they could escape at any time and get real job, its so cliche and weird.Worst film ever in this genre - "pretty woman", i cant think how woman could even like this kind of movie, its hilarious.For me if you sell your body you have no soul, thats it, there is no coming back, sorry.
 
Last edited:
When i read his script first time i thought exactly that, i thought that her cranes represent numbers of men she slept with and there is NO WAY i would ever root for her if this would be like that, i wanted to stop reading it actually, it would be very bad idea and would make her sex counter/machine instead of human being, i hate this idea and i dont get why even make a movie when yo dont have any character to root for.
*But im against using hookers as main protagonists anyway, they always want to discover true love or whatever another world and yet they could escape at any time and get real job, its so cliche and weird.Worst film ever in this genre - "pretty woman", i cant think how woman could even like this kind of movie, its hilarious.For me if you sell your body you have no soul, thats it, there is no coming back, sorry.

So, you're not going to like my as yet to be scripted and filmed, "Sex Work"(2016), which is a story of hookers and strippers unionizing, fighting the mafia and ultimately losing. Sort of Norma Rae meets Showgirls meets McCabe and Mrs Miller.

There are a couple of job categories that I'd list under 'soul sucking', politicians, killers for hire, ministers of the gospel, that sort of thing... but prostitutes don't even come close.
 
And you want people to relate to hookers and root for them ? That is impossible, unless viewers are hookers themselves. Thats why i dont get people who want to do this kind of work, theres a lot of other interesting things to tell, hooker tale isnt one of them.
Copmaring hitman with hooker is nono, hitman could kill only people who will do drugs and he will be good guy in viewers mind, thats the difference.Hooker is always hooker, no matter if she slept with lawyer,drug dealer or president.
I'm watching Leon Professional and i never think of Leon as a bad guy, for me he takes out bad guys, drug dealers, thats why i dont mind him doing his job and i actually root for him to clean all of this.
 
Last edited:
And you want people to relate to hookers and root for them ? That is impossible, unless viewers are hookers themselves. Thats why i dont get people who want to do this kind of work, theres a lot of other interesting things to tell, hooker tale isnt one of them.
Copmaring hitman with hooker is nono, hitman could kill only people who will do drugs and he will be good guy in viewers mind, thats the difference.Hooker is always hooker, no matter if she slept with lawyer,drug dealer or president.
I'm watching Leon Professional and i never think of Leon as a bad guy, for me he takes out bad guys, drug dealers, thats why i dont mind him doing his job and i actually root for him to clean all of this.

I am somewhat amazed at the irony of your statements... that somehow a fellow who trades on violence is more 'acceptable' and 'rootable', than some one who engages in a mutually consensual activity... I suppose burger flippers are low on the moral scale, since occasionally ecoli or salmonella outbreaks kill or induce illness in some number of people every year... not to mention the fatty offerings at fast food joints are contributory to a number of later life illnesses...

As it is, if I recall correctly, the original poster was coming up with some sort of Publice Service Announcement, targeting the customers of prostitutes, to show 'the reality' behind the 'facade'... as an attempt to dissuade potential customers.

I don't see prostitution or allied 'adult service' industries, as being so ultimately evil as to require massive government prevention, or prohibition laws and campaigns to enforce those laws... I would rather the police be looking for the armed Leons of the world, despite that particular character's 'heart of gold'... rather than rounding up unarmed prostitutes.
 
but i see it like that and its rotten part of humanity, very sad part.
So you got everything mixed up if you prefere prostitute over leon, i wont do much explaining this if you cant see a difference between killing drug dealers and hooker sleeping with thousands.This is why your movie will fail.Right or wrong is very simple.
*Drug dealer selling only to bad people is a good guy, drug dealer selling to innocents is bad guy.Its really simple.With hooker there isnt this choice between hurting bad or good people, if she slept with good husband - shes ruining family and i wish her worst, if she slept with bad guy - she is stupid to give herself to worthless piece of human being and i dont care about her.Whatever she does its a bad thing cause sex should come from feeling and real emotion not for money and with random guys.
We have moral rules in our world arent we ? Theyre pretty similar around the globe i guess.
 
Hi all, I am of course fully aware that I´ve been absent from my own thread for quite awhile, the reason of which is that I´ve been vacationing in France for the last couple of weeks, where internet access was severely limited. I apologize.

First of all, yes, it is very important to notice that this is indeed a film with a very specific agenda. The film is anti prostitution. It is for a contest.


I do realize that it is difficult to differentiate Asian and Caucasian hands. To suggest her heritage; I will have her both wear rings and wristbands with a classic Japanese style and decorate her apartment in an oriental manner. It is an ancient Japanese legend after all, her origin should be in that country.

As for the fact that she in theory could be folding the cranes for any wish, the importance of choosing the contact magazine lied in the ability to cross cut between the folding and the showing of the magazine, thereby suggesting a connection between the two. In addition to the shot with the crane and the red dress which accomplishes the same thing.

The story of the film in my mind has always been of a Prostitute that is severely unhappy with her vocation, but is left with few other options. Realizing this, she turns to an ancient legend for a prayer, a prayer which many of us would call futile. I was and am very interested in telling this story in a subtle and minimalistic way, in a way that does not impose itself on the viewer.

Though I am getting unsure if I perhaps should include further information about the legend in the film itself after all. I do of course realize that not everyone is well versed enough in Japanese legends to know what the cranes are all about. My initial though was that should any man or woman watch the film and come to a liking of it, despite being left perplexed. One could easily Google "1000 origami" or something similar and the correct page would appear. I still do find this dynamic a little interesting; one may watch it, not entirely understand it, head to Wikipedia, then read " An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane" and be like "oooh".

Still I am a little unsure if it would perhaps be for the better to include the legend in the film after all. Any thoughs?
 
Back
Top