realtime cloud maps

I browsed around that site and found this page...
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/getsatellite.html

Looks interesting. I could copy my program and url.txt file into another folder, change it's search address and have it download other data as well using links like this page describes.

I'll have to update the program some time also so that it constantly shows which address it's searching so I can tell which program is searching which site. Right now it only displays the address during the search. If there's any features or changes you'd like in the next small update let me know and I'll try and put them in.
 
Last edited:
Hey Gord, thanks. I was just about to call it quits with no updates in 27 hours.

I'll make the changes now and give it another try.
 
Made the change and it downloaded the first image ok.

Does it make sense to haev it update every two hours when the images are taken every 3? if you want to have it check more often shoudn't it be ever 1 hour so an image doesn;t get skipped?
 
I just notieced that page has the low res pics, I'll keep looking for a high res place to download them. The center resposible for that data is where I live in Kansas City so I can make some calls if need be.
 
Hey Chip. If I only checked every 3 hours there would be a possibility of missing one of the updates. With 2 hours it allows a little overlap in time to ensure getting them all.
The scripts that are available from a couple people on the xplanet page also check every 2 hours and I think that's why.

I've been letting mine run for about 13 hours now and I have 5 pics that are all updates.
So everything appears to be working now using the proper link.

2 of the 5 pics have a sector in the middle, about 1/4 size that remain unchanged I think because there was no satellite data at that time probably, but the other 3/4's of the coverage were fine in those 2 pics.

I also have a new version that I'm using now that's been cleaned up and with some improvements. I'll put that up later this afternoon.
 
Last edited:
Mines working great, I also have 5 images downloaded.

Yea, I noticed the 1/4 sections. I guess it's 4 geo stationary satelites that make up the image. I might try it later of just north america from one satelite.
 
I'm up to 10. I updated the first post but if anyone wants the newer version you'll have to send me an email address so I can send it to you. It's about 800K and too big for attachments it appears.
 
My brother had AE6 installed here with Twixtor. Never got into it yet myself.
I can look for it but I'll have to learn it a bit. Mark Harris may be the guy to talk to about twixtor though.
 
Got 30 frames now.That's it for me I think. It's interesting to see the Americas going from night to day. And watching the Gulf Stream do it's thing. And the turbulence over east of Africa. Kind of cool.
This started off as 3D but kind of led into something else. Cool though. It's caught my interest now. Glad I did it. :)
 
I'm at 27, I'm going to let it run for a while (proably a week or so) to see how a time lapse will look, I'll probably have to crop sections of it, we will see.

I'm also glad you made this script, thanks man. I'll let you know in a week or so how it looks.
 
Yeah, the big storm. I'm almost afriad to turn mine off now. Not that we get those, but, just to be aware. It's a little addictive isn't it? haha. Yeah, I'd like to be on the front end of a major storm, for sure. Cool stuff man. :)
 
Yea, I'm a big storm guy. I live under them but because of you I'm living above them. Rare, I was about to by a ladder to fix the Africa satelite btw.

I'll let it run for a few weeks, then do a Twistor on it with Matrix sound FX.
 
Back
Top