Question about 5d3 bootflag ML raw startup issue

Isn't a one second delay a bit overblown? If your anticipating shooting something you probably have the camera on already and hanging on our neck or something?

I don't recall having a one second delay to have done anything to my photography needs. The canon 7d is even faster to bootup but I have never needed it that much through over 100 000 photos. Maybe once or twice but those photos came out s*%tty anyway.

It seems only on the 5D3 has the bootflag not been disabled. Start time has jumped from 0.2s to 2s. That includes time to wakeup from sleep mode. Lots of photographers put their camera into sleep mode to conserve battery power.

Lots of photographers put their camera into sleep mode to conserve battery power.

Do they really or does the camera do it by itself? On default it does but it's almost useless as those regular batteries last a sufficiently long time while taking just photos with lcd off.

Last edited:
Buy a battery grip and leave the camera on!

As a video shooter, I used to have to wait more than a minute for my Red One to turn on. Two seconds seems like an instant fix.

If you really want to fix the problem, start a Kickstarter. Collect $4000, enough for a used camera and someone's time, and hire a ML dev to fix it. Then release the fix to the kickstarter supporters 3 months ahead of public domain and give away the hopefully not-bricked camera to a randomly chosen backer.

Buy a battery grip and leave the camera on!

As a video shooter, I used to have to wait more than a minute for my Red One to turn on. Two seconds seems like an instant fix.

If you really want to fix the problem, start a Kickstarter. Collect $4000, enough for a used camera and someone's time, and hire a ML dev to fix it. Then release the fix to the kickstarter supporters 3 months ahead of public domain and give away the hopefully not-bricked camera to a randomly chosen backer.

It is more of a resale issue than an actual issue for videographers.

It is more of a resale issue than an actual issue for videographers.

I think a properly installed Magic Lantern- 5dmkIII would actually have a better resale value. That's why some rental houses are using it for more money. People don't want to waste time installing and testing stuff but if someone has done it for them... they'll get it.

The odds of selling your 5DMKIII to a photographer are wayyy higher than to a videographer. Any little thing will cause a photo person to pass on yours to buy another and instant startup is very important to photo people including me. :)

I think a properly installed Magic Lantern- 5dmkIII would actually have a better resale value. That's why some rental houses are using it for more money. People don't want to waste time installing and testing stuff but if someone has done it for them... they'll get it.

Except as Bassman states, selling off a 5D3 to a photographer is more likely, and when they learn that awaking from sleep will take about 10x as long because ML was installed, they might pass.

Except as Bassman states, selling off a 5D3 to a photographer is more likely, and when they learn that awaking from sleep will take about 10x as long because ML was installed, they might pass.

10x as long :)

It's still fast enough, come on guys.

Back