I am hearing a few people transcoding their raw footage AVCHD to ProRes before it hits the timeline using
Media Encoder. Their claiming it holds up better with less generation loss and special effects. Any thoughts on this procedure.
It is a more robust, less processor intense codec, but in terms of image quality the damage is already done by recording in AVCHD to begin with. As an editor I'd certainly rather work with a codec like ProRes than AVCHD, but that's not always possible. At the very least I'd set my previews to be ProRes so that any rendering that takes place isn't done in AVCHD.
Also, NLE's have always had SOME kind of issue SOMEWHERE in their code when it comes to dealing with AVCHD. Even if the issues were small or uncommon.
Transcoding AVCHD to ProRes - especially HQ - might not always help in every situation, but it sure ain't going to hurt!
I'm still on Premiere Pro CS6 - which supposedly had all its AVCHD issues finished off - but whenever I have time I try to get it to ProRes HQ first.
I use 5DtoRGB and it's never let me down.