Prores icon preview in OSX Mavericks.

Ram S.O.S

Well-known member
I have a question that is not specifically FCPX related but as an FCPX user I'm affected by this. I upgraded to Mavericks osx 10.9 and now I no longer get a thumbnail preview on my prores quicktime files in the finder. I do get a preview with any other type of quicktime codecs. I shoot a lot on the blackmagic cinema camera and it's not good for me just to see a Q on those thumbnails. I have tried the view options and it does not affect Prores files. I've also downloaded the latest codecs from apple. So I want to know I'm I the only person this is happening to? I'm thinking I may need to reinstall mavericks but before I do that I need to know if anyone else is experiencing this? I have attached a screen capture to illustrate what I'm talking about. Quicklook does still work on the prores files but I need that thumbnail.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 10.29.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 10.29.38 AM.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
I believe there will be an upgrade to FCPX in December to go along with the availability of the new Mac Pro. That may fix the problem, but doesn't help now.
 
Thank you Noah, I've seen that discussion and actually started one of my own there on this same subject. I don't have DIVX installed. I think I might need to reinstall Mavericks. What I have not been able to get an answer about from anyone yet is, am I alone with this issue? Or is anyone else experiencing this The thread you linked me to was about Mountain Lion 10.8 and the issue was a bit different because quick look was not working for them. When I click on a prores file and press the space bar it does playback. The icon preview does not work so I can view the video in the icon as I can with other codecs.
 
Hi Ram i am having the same problem as you, its really annoying when you have a dozen shots with the same file names +1 and you can't see the difference hopefully apple will sort out soon
 
I finally figured out what the issue was. I decided to wipe my drive and do a fresh install of mavericks and when I did that the prores files worked correctly until I reinstalled Quicktime 7. As soon as I installed Quicktime 7 i got no icon preview. So I wiped the system again and reinstalled everything except for QT7 and all is well. I hope this helps someone.
 
Back
Top