Prolycht Orion 675 FS full spectrum RGBACL color spotlight

From a light quality perspective, if a single light source is appropriate to sell the effect, the Prolycht has the benefit of ease of placement and controlling the size of the source.

Several Prolycht FSs, with each one simulating a dedicated source, modified accordingly, would have to be a pretty convincing set up?

I know it's still not that simple if there's an expectation that the lights will also be moving!
 
Last edited:
In anticipation of the 675 arriving, it'd be good to talk about the app's video recording function.

Mitch, you gave the example of simulating changing street lighting for a night exterior with a vehicle.

How does the video recording work - if several colours are present, is it taking an average, or does it select what's most dominant? Is it best to fill the frame with a single colour? Does brightness work the same way?

What other situations can people think of where the video recording would be useful?

This may not be possible but rather than using the phone's camera, maybe there could also be some type of matching what's on the phone screen without using the camera. For example, if dissatisfied with the built in effects for TV flicker, rather than pointing the phone at someone else's screen that's playing your ideal TV effect, you could simply tap into a youtube playlist with different types of videos (fast action, slow changing lazy viewing). I'm sure the light's stock parameters will be fine but I'm just brainstorming other ways to use the app.

The Color Picker is an interesting tool and there are three ways to use it. A single reference frame grab, a continuously live-changing reference (called Realtime Color Picker) and a recording of a continuously changing reference (up to 10 minute length). For all of these, you select the reference window size on the screen and then pinch to zoom the camera. The Color Picker will then average the color and exposure of the reference. For the continuous reference the refresh rate is quite high and the transitions very smooth, and the app is highly responsive so there is little in the way of lag in controlling the light. There are also direct offset controls on the app so that exposure and color can be shifted manually. For the single frame grab and Recording modes there are manual offsets available both during capture and after. The Realtime Color Picker only offers this during capture as there is no recording only live pass-thru to the light. The Recording mode can also be set to continuously loop for uninterrupted playback.

Depending on the setup, I can see different uses. A simple single frame grab is easy to match another source. The Recording mode is great for a repeatable precision effect that you can program like a sequencer. Think of it in a club scene or for a custom effect not already represented in our effects modes. I personally find the Realtime Color Picker the most intriguing. I might be shooting a long interview with daylight illuminating my background. I could sit my phone on the windowsill and it could match the changing light as the sun sets behind a tree or whatever. For a process shot I could point the phone at a small part of the background plate screen and then use the Orion to illuminate the talent. In fact we've done this quite successfully with the Orion 300 FS.

We've been working with a number of people building virtual studios. As a test one of them mounted four cameras on a car to capture background plates. These plates were then stitched together for the LED wall and four iPads were used to control four separate Orion 300 FS lights using the Realtime Color Picker. The effect worked seamlessly and required dramatically less horsepower and setup than an integrated software system. While it may not be the answer to everything the fact that we throw it in for free and it's so powerful is pretty amazing.
 
Thanks Mitch. I’ve got the app already, it looks great.

I’m determined to come up with an original use for the realtime function but I’ll have to be quick because all of the possibilities are rapidly making themselves known.
 
Hey Mitch - do you happen to have the dimensions of the 675FS light head, with and without the Yoke? Currently weighing up my options for a case. Thanks!
 
I plan on using whatever Prolycht gives us for owner/op mode but the form factor and build quality should give it a chance to be stored/travel on shelves or in bigger crates like traditional larger lights.

I know this is highly personal but if durability (in the product) is there, I can't stand committing gear to hard/road cases, unless you really need to stack things or work in poor weather conditions.

What are you looking at Chris?
 
I plan on using whatever Prolycht gives us for owner/op mode but the form factor and build quality should give it a chance to be stored/travel on shelves or in bigger crates like traditional larger lights.

I know this is highly personal but if durability (in the product) is there, I can't stand committing gear to hard/road cases, unless you really need to stack things or work in poor weather conditions.

What are you looking at Chris?

Hi Rob,

I already have a couple of spare Tenba cases, that might fit the light. They are a nice balance of lightweight + protection. My concern is the shape of the 675FS - it looks quite thick in all directions. I would consider something like a Pelican Air 1637 and there are quite a few sales on at the moment.

I think for these modern lights with the more complex electronics, my main concern is dust and moisture. But hey, the 675FS is meant to have some protection from those elements I believe?
 
I plan on using whatever Prolycht gives us for owner/op mode but the form factor and build quality should give it a chance to be stored/travel on shelves or in bigger crates like traditional larger lights.

I know this is highly personal but if durability (in the product) is there, I can't stand committing gear to hard/road cases, unless you really need to stack things or work in poor weather conditions.

What are you looking at Chris?

I did the same. I figured I’d be spending about the same for a case on my own vs what the kit price was with the hard case. And it will be customized(I presume) inside for it. But I am still trying to figure out an alternative to the cases that the 300’s come in. I just do not like them. They are bulky/take up a lot of space, no end handles, no wheels, and the bottom material when it slides across anything is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I tried putting two in a Pelican 1650 and when I dry fit them(just laid them in an empty case to get an idea for the layout/if it would work), it was perfect, but with padded dividers(already had a set), everything just doesn’t quite fit, then(by like just an inch or so).

Since I 99.9% don’t fly with my lights anymore, several years ago I kicked around the idea of moving stuff to milk crates to save space, but that was a bad idea. Zero protection/padding was not good for one of my original Hive 100 C’s. Even though my gear doesn’t typically get thrown around by airlines or shipping companies, the constant vibrations from the road when it’s riding in a vehicle is not good either.
 
I think for these modern lights with the more complex electronics, my main concern is dust and moisture. But hey, the 675FS is meant to have some protection from those elements I believe?

I'm not too concerned, steps would still be taken like setting up an umbrella/other materials if it's raining. I know Andrew Locke had issues with forza 500s being a "moth graveyard" but it seems like the 675's protective layer will be able to handle it. IMO these lights can't just replace (/exceed) older lights from a performance perspective, they also need to come close in being able to slot into a total system, where they're ideal to work with before they're even put on a stand. I know it doesn't necessarily matter if a Gaffer likes working with a unit but it's still nice if the tools are enjoyed across the board, appealing to all departments!

Since I 99.9% don’t fly with my lights anymore, several years ago I kicked around the idea of moving stuff to milk crates to save space, but that was a bad idea. Zero protection/padding was not good for one of my original Hive 100 C’s. Even though my gear doesn’t typically get thrown around by airlines or shipping companies, the constant vibrations from the road when it’s riding in a vehicle is not good either.

I add a dense foam layer at the bottom of each crate, which hopefully takes the edge off of road bumps, still not as protective as a hard case. Maybe you need a custom road case? I find you have to get really lucky for pelicans/hard cases to be an absolutely perfect fit. When it happens it's amazing but otherwise frustrating trying to make things fit.
 
Hey Mitch - do you happen to have the dimensions of the 675FS light head, with and without the Yoke? Currently weighing up my options for a case. Thanks!

Without the yoke the light is 381.4mm Long x 273mm Wide x 252.4mm High. I don't have the size with the yoke on but the yoke is approximately 450mm Tall x 350mm Wide.

We should have info on our own case soon.
 
Please note that the Prolycht case for the Orion 675 FS will be a hard resin "Pelican-like" type with fitted hard foam and rolling wheels with a telescoping handle. It will have space for the 10M power cable as well as the two reflectors included with the lamp. We will also try to make it so that it could fit the 10" fresnel and barndoors in place of the reflectors as we know that many clients prefer to configure this way. Can't promise that one yet as we're awaiting final mechanicals on the fresnel to see what will reasonably fit. The fresnel & barndoors will of course ship in their own padded soft case.
 
The Orion 675 FS is dust & moisture resistant, with an IP rating of IPX4. Standard interior dimensions of a large 24QT milk crate are 18.25" x 12" x 10.75", so the Orion 675 FS will fit inside with the yoke off but not on. You would need to lay the yoke down next to the light along with the power cable and there wouldn't be room for the reflectors. You could put the yoke, cable & reflectors in a second milk crate, but I don't know how you'd feel about a 2-crate solution.
 
Please note that the Prolycht case for the Orion 675 FS will be a hard resin "Pelican-like" type with fitted hard foam and rolling wheels with a telescoping handle. It will have space for the 10M power cable as well as the two reflectors included with the lamp. We will also try to make it so that it could fit the 10" fresnel and barndoors in place of the reflectors as we know that many clients prefer to configure this way. Can't promise that one yet as we're awaiting final mechanicals on the fresnel to see what will reasonably fit. The fresnel & barndoors will of course ship in their own padded soft case.
Is there a price on the case? I went with the Prolycht 675 without the case.
 
Please note that the Prolycht case for the Orion 675 FS will be a hard resin "Pelican-like" type with fitted hard foam and rolling wheels with a telescoping handle. It will have space for the 10M power cable as well as the two reflectors included with the lamp. We will also try to make it so that it could fit the 10" fresnel and barndoors in place of the reflectors as we know that many clients prefer to configure this way. Can't promise that one yet as we're awaiting final mechanicals on the fresnel to see what will reasonably fit. The fresnel & barndoors will of course ship in their own padded soft case.

For lights of this size, I'm a fan of this this design where the case is as small as possible while letting a modifier live with the light, rather than a massive case every type of modifier.

The Orion 675 FS is dust & moisture resistant, with an IP rating of IPX4.

I'm still learning about IP ratings. Why "X" rather than a number? I imagine rating against "solid foreign objects" is more tedious than testing with water.
 
Last edited:
Please note that the Prolycht case for the Orion 675 FS will be a hard resin "Pelican-like" type with fitted hard foam and rolling wheels with a telescoping handle. It will have space for the 10M power cable as well as the two reflectors included with the lamp. We will also try to make it so that it could fit the 10" fresnel and barndoors in place of the reflectors as we know that many clients prefer to configure this way. Can't promise that one yet as we're awaiting final mechanicals on the fresnel to see what will reasonably fit. The fresnel & barndoors will of course ship in their own padded soft case.

Thanks for the details Mitch. It looks like I have a Tenba case that will fit the Yoke, Light and reflectors based on the dimensions you provided.

If the hard case is made available to buy separately, I will still consider it though. It really all depends on the final size and weight.

cheers
 
Is there a price on the case? I went with the Prolycht 675 without the case.

The case is $300 when ordered with the light. You can ask your reseller if you can switch your order to one with the case. If you purchase the case separately it will be more.
 
For lights of this size, I'm a fan of this this design where the case is as small as possible while letting a modifier live with the light, rather than a massive case every type of modifier.



I'm still learning about IP ratings. Why "X" rather than a number? I imagine rating against "solid foreign objects" is more tedious than testing with water.

The scale is 0-9. If you go above the scale then it's X. We are above the scale.
 
Thanks for the details Mitch. It looks like I have a Tenba case that will fit the Yoke, Light and reflectors based on the dimensions you provided.

If the hard case is made available to buy separately, I will still consider it though. It really all depends on the final size and weight.

cheers

It will be sold separately as a replacement part. So more expensive than when included with the light, but not crazy more.
 
Great news that the case can be purchased separately. Primary concern now is total weight. I’ve learnt the hard way with stairs and cases of a large size and over 25kg in weight.
 
Back
Top