Product Photography...

Tim Miller

Well-known member
Is this something that's fairly easy to get into?

I ask because I shot some photos from this company that had some big wigs in town. Just them hob-nobbing, nothing spectacular.

Well I got a call they need 79 product shots and they want me to put a bid in. They predominately work with food and I know food is tough to shoot. I will find out tomorrow what exactly they need shot.

I am a little bit better then a novice at photography, but have no lights or background (white box, sheets, etc). I have read some stuff online for some inexpensive alternatives to shooting product, as far as backgrounds go. I've been meaning to get some continuous lighting for video...not sure how that would work.

Any one want to chime in....is this worth it? What to quote?

Thanks to all!
 
We can't really say for you. High end food shoots have something akin to makeup but for food, then you have to pick the angles and lighting to make it work. But if you aren't comfortable doing it you really shouldn't put yourself out for that kind of work. If it's botched you'll only have one thing on your record, and it won't be good. Otherwise practice a little and see if you think you're up for it.
 
If it is food, then I tend to agree. Try some shots at home and see how well you can pull it off. It's not that it's that hard, but you need to know you can find the magic.

If it's just product on white, that's about the easiest thing on the planet to shoot....but so many people do it poorly. I would also find out what they want as far as an end product goes. How much post will be involved? What are the product sizes? If they want you to shoot cars on white, that is much more involved than a box of noodles. :)
 
Back
Top