Prison Life

RossS

Active member
Can anyone make recommendations of docs they have seen about life in prison, especially maximum security prison. Anyone seen anything on prisoner rehabilitation?
 
Might wanna give The Big House a shot.....Also, try The Farm, was nominated for an Academy Award back in the late 90's, about Angola Prison in Angola, Louisiana......
 
Lockdown

Lockdown

The MSNBC show is called "Lockdown," and it is excellent. They often run multiple episodes back to back and occasionally marathons, so look for that. Each show takes place in a different prison, man of which are Maximum security.

I would also recommend some good reading:

"You Got Nothing Coming: Tales of a Prison Fish"
"The Hot House"
"New Jack"

The Farm, previously mentioned, is a very good documentary.

Lastly, you might want to check out some prison blogs and similar sites. I had a bunch bookmarked when I was doing research, but can't seem to find them. Snoop around, the web has some interesting prison info...
 
Prison life

Prison life

I’m just wondering . . . are you looking to make doc of prison life? I expect to get permission to get my camera in a state prison within the next six months. It’s taken me a long time, and I even teach in one. Most states are very resistant to any form of media inside max walls; Oregon may be exception. I can’t really recall anyone shooting in max security, though max inmates in CA’s Pelican Bay were interviewed (outside cell block) a few years back. I actually hope to get (however briefly) camera on our IMU/max tiers with whom I work.

I’ve seen some of the Angola stuff, but not so sure that qualifies as “real” max work. As for rehab, typically the new catch phrase is “recidivism”, the revolving door stuff. If you are, I sure would love to hear what you’re working on. . . if you don’t mind.

hud
 
I don't know the name of the documentary, but three days ago I saw a documentary filmed inside San Quentin. It was a pretty cool docu.
 
Seamy, where (what state) are you located?

Hi Ross; since I'm still not yet "inside" with camera, so I should be careful with identifying prison. I would be glad to speak/write privately with you, though. Sorry for all the secrecy . . . Initially I approached the prison about allowing camera in max (IMU) cell for an extended period of time and that turned a few heads. Since then I've had to lower my expectations. There also remains the possibility of formal request by "public disclosure" (records, film, etc), but that would most likely create a very real dividing line. I would prefer to get inside and shoot what I know and experience . Still, max custody is really strange (the differences in state vs. prisoner narratives, segregation vs isolation, etc.,) and literally there are thousands languishing in isolation cells throughout the U.S. I have a few stories (especially about school cages that you might want to hear if you are working on your doc of max custody. Please let me know if you would like to discuss more.

Honesty, I've yet to see a doc on prison that I feel fully represents the mind numbing routinization of prison. I think you are "right on" asking about max custody and truly believe the best story resides there. Privately, I would love to ask what your working on. Regards
hud,


.
 
30 Days (Morgan Spurlock, Actual Reality Pictures, FX Network) did an episode about being in a prison. Pretty intense. Avaliable on iTunes under Season 2 if you want to check it out.

can't resist a response to an earlier post (hope I don't offend too much): MSNBC "doc" Lockdown is poorly produced, exploitative crap.
 
JY - please expand on the poorly produced and exploitative. I'm really just curious what you mean there. I've watched it a few times and just didnt come away with that feeling. And not offended at all, just interested. More so interested in the poorly produced aspect. Exploitative sure, thats what documentaries are for right? :) (just kidding, although many are, not all, but many)
 
in general, I am not impressed with MSNBC's Docs. my complaint with the Lockdown series is that it feels like they rehash the same things again and again (how dangerous it is, what the weapons are, what the guard procedures are, isolation units) and focus on footage of some often extremely mentally disturbed people who are a. captive and b. mentally deranged folks not capable of sorting out what is in their own best interest.

I don't feel like any of those episodes bring up new and informative stuff and add to the discussion about our nation's penal system. I think they are on the air more for "come watch a train wreck" quality. I feel that in balancing act between documenting and exploiting, MSNBC docs usually are on the air more for their "entertainment" value and while that is fine with alot of stuff, perhaps we should not do that with a captive population with such a focus on the severely mentally disturbed.

If there was some effort toward the greater good, than fine. But I just don't see it.
 
Last edited:
Cool, what you said makes sense. I'm a train wreck watcher when it comes to friday night tv. And I've only seen it a couple of times so I probably wouldnt notice the lack of new content. I also like to watch COPS though for the same reasons and I know they dont have any new content. This, Lockdown, and most of the other MSNBC docs I've seen are "shock docs" (can I own that phrase if its new?). Same reason people watch "when animals attack". Lockdown though I really dont dont have a problem with exploiting criminals. They're there for a reason, lets exploit them. I really just dont have a soft spot for criminals. Thats going to be a personal thing for everyone though I think - its like prolife and prochoice (which I dont want to even begin to get into), but there will be sides to this and neither will be right nor wrong.

I really dont know this post was going but here's a question - do documentaries have to put something towards the greater good? Why cant they just document and show whats there?
 
hmmm...where to begin? In terms of criminals, I think your view of exploiting them is very short sighted (no offense intended). What about prisoners who have served their punishments (say 20 or 25 years), but aren't released from prison due to bureaucracy and red tape? Do they still serve to be exploited? In terms of the documentary as an art form, some people use them to expand on their personal views, others use them to bring awareness in an objective manner to a story. I appreciate entertainment as a form of escapism, but I enjoy docs as much of not more as a means to getting people to think.
 
a lot of the guys that they like to focus on really belong in an asylum. smearing sh*t everywhere, hallucinations, schizophrenia.

I admit to watching my share of crapola on tv, but some of this MSNBC stuff just rubs me wrong.
 
Yeah the whole criminal exploitation thing is definitely something to be debated. My basic viewpoint is that if you did something bad then get ready to do the punishment. While the punishment may be 20-25 in prison its going to last much longer than that when you cant vote (assuming a felony), employers dont want you, and society as a whole will treat you differently. As far as I'm concerned thats fine with me. You did the crime, you deserve it. Now as far as innocent people that are wrongfully imprisoned thats a whole other thing and I hope that is starting to slow down as forensic science advances. So thats my view on that.

As far as making people want to think, thats great. If I was making a documentary I would have the same goal. But when it comes to watching them, I'll watch anything that peaks my interest. I dont ALWAYS want to think. I enjoy the good entertainment doc too. Like My Date With Drew. I doubt that made a whole lot of people think about any serious issues. It was just funny and entertaining. You can argue that it shows that you can achieve big goals with limited funds if you work at it, but that really gets shoved aside by the entertainment value if you ask me. So my conclusion is - drum roll please - docs can have a variety of goals. But if making people think is yours then the MSNBC route isnt for you :)
 
Back
Top