Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

kecorcoran

Well-known member
Hi everyone,

Starting a new tread, since the other thread on this seemed to be all about preordering Premiere and speculating when it will arrive.

I got my Premiere Pro 1.5 last night. (Actually the whole Video Collection). Obviously the first thing I did after installing was sit down and test out the 24p functionality.

First, I created a 24p project, and captured about 30 minutes of video into it. (One improvement in the capture window is that when "Scene Detect" is selected Premiere no longer stops, rewinds, and restarts with each scene, it just creates a new file and keeps on rolling. This should save wear and tear on the precious DVX100.)

I had done a previous capture of this tape with PP 1.0 (7?), so I compared file sizes, and the clips captured for the 24p project still seemed to be full size, so I suppose the pulldown frames have not been removed.

Playback looked good on the computer monitor, and I was seeing just the 24 "real" frames, none of the pulldown frames.

My video monitor (connected through a firewire device) was a different story. Since the video monitor always shows 60i, Premiere has to do a pulldown. There are two settings under Project Setttings->General->Playback Settings which control this. One just repeats a frame ("ABBCD") and the other creates interlaced pulldown frames.

The interlaced pulldown frames is the default, but on my monitor, bright areas like overexposed skies seemed to flicker and flash. I changed the setting to repeat frame and everything looked fine. I really wasn't noticing the doubled frame at all.

According to the manual, you can either view the timecode either in 24 frame increments or the standard 30 drop frame time code. So, for example, at the end of the first second your timecode could read 00:00:00:23 or 00;00;00;29. In the latter case, I think every fifth number is skipped. (I didn't really explore this so I might have it slightly wrong.) The advantage of the 30 frame time code is that's the way the camera keeps time as well.

The Adobe Media Encoder does offer 24 p progressive MPEG encoding for DVD, but maybe it always did.

So, overall it looks good. I'm happy 24p if now supported.

Kevin
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

I received my collection upgrade last night too (after buying/upgrading the collection just two months ago :()

Haven't had a chance to play with it much but it does handle the 24pa material nicely. The only catch is, if you use the anamorphic adaptor you have to do an "interpret footage" on all clips for proper display. With squeeze mode, of course, Premiere recognizes the 16:9 flag. Wish you could create a preset that automatically interprets anamorph footage (or force a flag on the DVX).
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

preston,

when you installed, did you need to have the previous versions installed, or just the serial #'s, cause ill be puttingit on a new drive, and dont want to waste time installig the old ones again if i dont have to.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

It didn't *cliam* to be looking for the old version, it just asked for the old serial number. But I have no idea what it was doing in the background.

Strangely, it didn't uninstall or install over my previous Premeire Pro whcih is still there and still works.

Also something to note, Premiere Pro requires an activation just like Photoshop CS. So no sharing with your friends.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

Kecorcoran is right. It asked for the old and new serial number and activation which was quick (an internet connection but nothing to type in). I now have three versions of Premiere on my system.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

what!.. you mean i cant distribute it to the greater madison area for free :o ???

jk thanks though!
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

Hey Kevin, does your free magic bullet plugin display any of the presets properly in PPro 1.5? They worked for me in 1.0 but now all I get are some form of a grayscale image.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

I figured out how to fix the magic bullet plug-in problem but it requires that you have the old version of the plugin installer that was a free download with PPro 1.0. :

Apparently, the "new" version has a bad .dll in the package. To get around it, install the old plugin. If you no longer have PPro 1.0 on your system it will not detect anything to install to. It will however create a folder in your program files folder. Temporarily copy the only .dll file in that folder to a safe place (or simply to your clipboard). You can now uninstall the old plugin.

Now install the new plugin. Navigate to the Premiere Pro 1.5 folder and paste the "old" .dll over the "new" one. It's in the root of that folder.

Startup Premiere - the presets now function properly, including the additional 5 freebies available from Red Giants site.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

I'm having the same trouble you describe, but am having difficulty figuring out which .dll you are talking about. Can you tell me the exact name of the .dll you moved?
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

The file is Look Suite.win.dll

The file that is installed with the current Movie Looks plugin doesn't work. It's located in the root of the Premiere Pro 1.5 folder.

What you want to use is the same .dll, installed to the same location, from the old version that shipped with 1.0. But the old installer won't locate PPro 1.5, it'll just create a Magic Bullet Movie Looks folder on your C drive. Inside of that, you find the .dll you need.
 
Re: Premiere Pro 1.5 Impressions - 24P

Thanks Preston, that seemed to do the trick.

I couldn't just run the 1.0 installer, because I still had PPro 1.0 installed so the old installer put it there.

I notice the old .dll is much larger than the new one. Either the code got much more efficient or they goofed and left something out, which would account for our problems.

Anyway, it's working well now.
 
Back
Top