Premiere 6.5

airforceguy

Active member
I am preparing to shoot my first project, or shall I say, I am getting ready to shoot some test footage so that I can get a feel for things (taking my new camera out for a test run, getting some real hands on editing, etc).

I am torn between buying Vegas 6.0 or PP 1.5. In the mean time someone has given me Premiere 6.5. My questions are.

Will 6.5 work for me at my level (beginner)?

How good of an edit can I get with it?

Will I be wasting my time?
 
I don't believe 6.5 supports 24p timelines so that may be a problem for you if you wish to shoot your project in 24p.
I personally love PPro 1.5.1 and I'm sure there are many others that will tell you to go with Vegas. I'd download the tryouts of both if you can.

Adobe Premiere PRo
Sony Vegas 6

Or if you are brand spankin' new to the whole process of editing and want to get to the basics really fast, consider Premiere Elements.
 
I will be shooting with a betacam. Will Premiere 6.5 work with that? I have been playing with a 6.5 and a trail version of Vegas 5. I seem to like the premiere set up (could be because I watch the 16 hours worth of tutorials). Vegas seemed to be a little more user friendly. But if 6.5 will work I don't have to buy either and can use the money elsewhere.
 
Premiere 6.5 does work with Betacam footage, but you have to digitize it with Matrox or some capture card, usually in MJPEG.
 
Is that a big task?

Since you brought up capturing, let me ask you another question. My dockable unit is record only, but I did find someone that can transfer my tapes to mini-dv. From there, what is the least expensive way to get the footage to my hard drive. Someone recommended I buy a $300 mini-dv camera and use it as a deck. Are there any other inexpensive options?
 
I would agree that dubbing your tapes to MiniDV and then using firewire to capture them would probably be the cheapest way of capturing your footage. You wouldn't have to spend extra money on capture cards, and I hate using the MJPEG compression format. If all you've got is Premiere 6.5, I would just capture MiniDV via firewire on a midlevel computer. It would definately save you the most money. Peace.
 
This may be the incorrect forum to ask this, but here goes. After experimenting with lights, camera, and monitor lastnight, my lighting on my subject was either too dark or too light. In a real world shoot do I slightly over light, or slightly under light? Which is easier to correct in post.
 
Yeh - the "lighting" section would probably be a more appropriate place for that one. There's guys there that can help you. But for a quick answer, I'd say get the lighting/exposure "right" when you shoot it. You don't want to spend time in post "fixing" problems that should not be there.
Any way you can post a grab of the test footage you shot?
 
It’s true, you won’t be able to edit true 24P on 6.5 but Premiere 6.5 WILL handle your 24P footage albeit on a 60i timeline. However, you won’t be able to edit your 24PA footage in Premiere 6.5.
 
Back
Top