Pre-sales and Distribution Options

Zblock

Well-known member
Hey I'd like to hear what some of the experienced members on the forums have to say about the below.

My first film Fathoms Deep is complete. I've been putting in effort on all fronts ie distribution, marketing, promotions, sales... and I've come to a crossroads and needs to make a decision I might not be able to come back from.

A number of magazines are doing articles on Fathoms Deep and the filmmakers. One of which has already hit shelves and has a circulation of 15,000. The other two mags have larger audiences.

Now I'd like to capitalize on this immediately and put up a pre-sale dvd on our website but I'm worried that will influence a possible distribution deal (which isn't on the table yet). Anyone have advice on this?

My 2nd option would be to email every distribution company (I have a list 300 strong) and tell them that I'm going to self-distribute to take advantage of the publicity unless they want to come in and take the film off my hands. I think this could be a wise move. Guys? Thoughts? Part of me wants to do the Faith Granger and sell this thing myself but truthfully I'd rather let someone else do it and go to work on another film asap.

I made a decision that I'd self-distribute unless I was paid an advance by a distribution company. Is anyone getting deals like that these days? With non-union films?

I need to make a decision quick and I'd really appreciate your responses.
Thanks,
Z
 
Tough decision you have to make. If you want to make a quick buck from the free promotion your getting now then go for it and distribute yourself. But if you think base off the free press you can get a distributor to give you UP FRONT MONEY, then contact your distributors and get their interest. Basically this free press your getting can work for you both ways. It all depends which way you want to go. But the public attention span is short, so this free press your getting now, it has to last for a little in order to drive people to your website to purchase the film.

Bottom line, if you try to get a distributer, 9/10 times, you won't get any upfront money and you may not see backend money. What I would do if I were in your shoe, I'd get on the ball ASAP and contact these distributors and try and use that free press as a way to start a bidding war and see who bites. Tough decision you have to make there. The only way I'll hold off on self distribution is if you are confident about your ability to actually get a distributor to pay upfront money, if not then self distribute. Whether you self distribute now or 6 months down the line, you still gonna have to promote and market, right now your just getting that for free. Go with your gut feeling. Sorry I couldn't be more clear on my answer, but this is a tough one.
 
Thanks Capital. My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if I try and self distribute if it will hurt any chances of a separate distribution deal down the line.
 
Back
Top