Photos from Iraq.

Beautiful photos on your blog, Timur. It is too bad that we know so little about this amazing place at its culture.
 
i was expecting scornful looks and anti american sentiment.

I got the exact opposite. I got more guff in amsterdam airport on the way there for being american than i did in 10 days in Iraq. They are the most hospitable people ive ever met.
 
My experiences in Europe and Central America have never matched up with the dire warnings that seem to accompany news of travel abroad. I'm glad to hear that you were welcomed there and that you're safe. We need more adventurers helping to tell the stories of everyday people on the street. I've found that people are a lot more relatable when you experience them firsthand, without someone else putting a filter or agenda to what you're experiencing.
 
Thanks for sharing your photos Timur, very very good. Especially 2067 and 9589. I think you made a great choice by deciding to focus your photography on the people, the line or two about what they were doing or why you photographed them was like icing on the cake, and it added depth with a nice slice of life.

I will also add to the above discussion about anti-american sentiment in other countries– I've found during my travels to Northern Africa and Western Europe that people have been very hospitable and outgoing. I think it's important as tourists/travelers/photographers that we not only share those good experiences but also give a good name for ourselves (American or whatever nationality you may be)

I've been in the vicinity of tourists in cafes or markets, who showed little to no respect to the local culture and language, and thus were indeed treated rudely. When I attempted to speak a few sentences of broken French on one occasion, all of a sudden the person would speak very politely in English, and appreciated the effort that I tried to speak his language.

I think some of the stigma surrounding experiences abroad comes from those who have little to no respect in the first place for their host city's customs and cultures. /rant :)
 
I agree, if you make the effort in france to try their language they take pity on you and speak english. :)
 
Such wonderful photos Timur. So nice to see the land instead of political/agenda views. Thank you. It must have been an honor to get to go on this assignment.

Around the fourth photo or so, all I could think is that their wiring/electrical codes must vary from that of the U.S. :)

You did an amazing job with the folks sitting around a fire with the daylight in the doorway in the back ground. I hope to be able shoot at least somewhat like you someday.

Larry
 
Thank you everyone! It was a truly different world. But te more it was different, the more it was the same. IT was people, families, children, and sheep. ;)
 
Absolutely fantastic Timur. Always a pleasure to take a look at your photography.

Kegan
 
Hi Timur,
Great photography though some pictures were not tagged.
How far is Karbala from Najaf? As people were walking on roads.
I like the night in Karbala picture most. 3 Generations were sitting together with lots of questions in their mind.
 
Good efforts dude These pictures are marvelous you did wonderful job by taking
these picture. I am really impress with your skills of the photography.
 
The event was the al beyin festival.

They were cooking various things. Lamb stew, chicken stew, rice, boiled potatoes, and sweet porridge. Also there was a never ending supply of sweet strong tea.

The food was actually quite good.
 
Back
Top