Perhaps the MOST important question of the writing process...

Egg Born Son

Veteran
How important are snackfoods to your writing process?

I tend to go to the kitchen every bump I get in my writers flow. I make a drink, grab a biscuit or simply check the fridge without even eating. Then I come back and slip right back into it. Anytime I find my kitchen bereft of snackfoods it seriously disturbs my writer's equilibrium. I don't even need to eat them, just know that they are there. Don't know how, why or when this came to be but I've noticed recently that I subconsciously stock up whenever I have a writing project on the horizon.

Are writers reliant on snacking in the same way rockstars and actors are fuelled on drugs and alcohol? Is sugar the steroid of creativity?

On a second note, do you have a go-to confection or beverage that works for you every time? I've been eating far too many wafer biscuits lately. I deconstruct them in my mouth as I deconstruct paragraphs in my head. :Drogar-Happy(DBG):
 
Just getting into screenwriting, but when writing requirements / planning docs for the day job nothing beats a frosted brown sugar poptart and a diet pepsi. Pretty sure that is what Zeus had every morning.

Sunflower seeds are good too.
 
Okay, I'll admit, I'm scrolling back through some older post. But I had to comment on this one. I find, when I need my brain to work (and that is a feat in itself), that I need some quanity of glucose (usually in the form of Coca~Cola). I also snack on sweets - and when I feel the need for protein, something like beef jerky. Ironically, if I really get wrapped up in or consumed with a project, I forget about the Coke altogehter. I look up and notice that my ice is half melted.
 
In answer to the thread: zero.

In response to Diet Pepsi: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I have been known to imbibe, drinks quite a bit harder than soda, and...

But there is sage advice out there: "Write drunk; edit sober.” -Hemingway

Better than any garbage food, I'd say go for a long walk in a forest/preserve, and think about the story you have so far.
 
Two things seem to work well for me when I'm writing anything.

1. Hot mango tea
2. Sitting in a Panera Bread

No idea why.
 
Back
Top