Paying for actors???

I've worked on more than my fair share of low/no budget projects over the past two years and I have to keep reminding myself, as I'm now director and often co-producer, that it shouldn't be the norm that crew and cast aren't paid. I sometimes fear the no pay/expenses only scenario is becoming the norm.
 
Far too often the arts gets tossed aside from financial gain and those who work in the field are asked for freebies constantly. Art is valuable, your work is valuable, no one should work for free.

That being said, as an actor, I would only work for free on projects where 1) no one was getting paid and 2) it better be a ****ing amazing story with potential for successful gains (festivals, etc..) 3) Would have to see the reel of the director to have faith in his/her abilities.

Now, if you can't afford actors, then you shouldn't be able to afford other areas of production really, cause at the end of the day, no one will care about framing, composition, art direction, production value, if the actors can't carry the story. If you have friends who would be looking for experience, then sure, but hopefully you can manage your expectations of what these "actors" can bring without a dime.
 
Back
Top