Panasonic pro tapes in LP?

Moseph

Veteran
I use these tapes. Sometimes I run'em LP on the family's Panny GS-180. Haven't had a problem.
 
I am also interested in this discussion-- I just bought a DVC30 and wondering what tapes I should run thru them? Can you guys tell me the cheapest buy safest alternative for DV tapes??? Am I ok with these pro mini tapes you are talking about? Thanks!
 
you should be fine with the tapes, i can tell you whether or not to run them in LP by the end of the weekend probably.
 
Since I bought my DVX 100B, I have tried the hardest to only run the Panasonic Professional Quality Tapes (AY-DVM63PQ). I have only ran Panasonic (consumer quality a couple of times and master quality a couple of times) tapes though. (NO WET TAPES ALOUD ex. Sony, Maxell) Switching back and forth between wet and dry tapes can put more wear on your heads causing them to go bad quicker. I pay around $3.75 (cause I buy 5 at a time) a tape from a Duplication Place. This is your best bet.

As for running in LP, havent had any experience with it, but I would think (correct me if I am wrong) that this would down rez your video so it can fit more onto the tape. You could just spend a little bit more and get the 83min PQ tape and just shoot in SP.

Good Luck! Hope this helped!
 
Last edited:
Friends don't let friends record in LP :thumbsup:

For certain family events, shooting a PC screen etc then sure--but for anything of real importance it's SP all the way. Though LP can give you longer recording time, what is more important--a longer recording time or a more secure recording? Because more tape has to be damaged to ruin the image in SP, it's a more secure mode and presents less of a risk for dropouts.

Also keep in mind that you may have trouble playing back a tape recorded in LP in another camera....and who doesn't want to use a second camera/deck for capturing in order to avoid wear and tear on their more expensive cam? I know I do.

And do yourself a favor and stay away from 83min tapes; with thinner tape you're inviting tape jams. Some may disagree with me here, but the last thing I want to encounter at the end of a gig is a wrinkled or deformed tape.

Useful reading: http://www.philpang.com/tips/minidv_lubricants.html

http://www.urbanfox.tv/articles/tape/t1tape.htm
 
Last edited:
is there a difference in image quality between master tapes to professional? Professional to consumer? Is it neglidgible?
 
I agree with the advice on thinner's 83 minute tapes.
I don't think using LP mode downrez the video.

I've use MQ tapes in LP for a Coprorate DVD where I need many, many, many hours of shooting. It all work fine for me, but i'ts true that you can expect some issue if capturing whith a different deck (in my case, audio drops).

And apart from the wet/dry difference, I don't think there's difference between tapes in terms of picture quality.
 
Back
Top