Ordering the Retina 5K iMac... Should I opt for the 4gb video card?

I will be shooting 4k footage in the next few months, and into the foreseeable future. Just wondering if I need this upgrade or if I can skip it.
 
Yes - most NLEs use the GPU very heavily and the small extra amount for the 4GB card is worth it, especially for 4K. The 2GB works OK but the 4 is faster. BTW, I'm also about to get the Retina 5K iMac but am waiting for the all-but-certain new improved model being announced next month.
 
The 27 inch will almost certainly see new or at least faster processors and maybe faster drives and better GPUs - that's worth waiting a month if you can. From my reading, the Haswell processors are not a great improvement for desktops so Apple may skip them and wait for the better Skylake CPUs - but those may not be ready yet. So, we'll see - either will be a great machine.
 
Back
Top