One stop shop for song rights

Norm Sanders

Script Wrangler
With the latest video production I've been doing for a client, I rec'd the run around on song rights, people telling me that I need either Master rights, Mechanical Rights, or Sync Rights (or all THREE at the same time) to use a song in a video montage.

I was also never able to get anyone that wanted to give me a solid quote, as I was probably too small of potatoes (only 500-1,00 units/DVD's) ... so I finally said screw it, and moved on with out the rights ... hoping THIS time it won't bite me in the ass later.

Anyone have any ideas for a one-stop-shop on film rights? Success stories in the past of dealing with a broker or publisher? I know I should just go royalty free, but these projects require the song that fits the year (i.e. popular top 40 at the time, etc.).
 
There are RF libraries that have songs specific in style to the decade. You have to decide if they are acceptable to you. Truth is the lawyer fees for the publisher will run a couple of thousand, so they don't fool with licensing for anything less.
 
Dittybase - these guys are great for production music. call them and they'll talk you through all your questions.
Rates are very reasonable.
Tell em Sirius Doggy sent you..:laugh:
 
I've had a lot of success contacting the bands/soloist directly, telling them what I'm doing, and asking them for their contact person - hasn't failed yet.... Usually they are pretty excited.

SmithHouse
 
Back
Top