Oh Wonderous Writing....

Shaw

Veteran
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some inspiration. I'm working on the beginnings of some short (and not so short) scripts. Am I the only one who just can't seem to be happy with a script no matter what? I mean, I really want to go out and shoot but I don't feel that anything I have is worth shooting yet (particuarily in terms of cost).

Anyway, on a slightly similar note did anyone else see that article in the news a few days back about the cop who held up a bank and then came back an hour later as head investigator? It's amazing what real life can provide for movie ideas. I'd post a link to the article but I can't seem to find it anymore.
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

You want to shoot...but have no script...but need to shoot...for practice, if nothing else.

How about: a fake trailer?

Got some snippets of really cool stuff? Snappy dialog, perhaps? One visual in your head that makes you heart go thuh-dump?

Arrange them, string them together somehow. Betcha ya could. ;)

Dan
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

Nice avatar GenJerDan :D

You bring some good suggestions. Thanks! I have some ideas for scripts that I think are good as well as some fully written stuff. There's just always more room to improve on them though!
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

[quote author=Shaw link=board=writing;num=1107479312;start=0#2 date=02/04/05 at 11:10:04]Nice avatar GenJerDan :D
[/quote]

She'd kill me if she knew I was using it here. But if I have the browser open, it covers the photos of her I have on the screen as wallpaper...this way, I can still look at her. :)

Dan
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

[quote author=Shaw link=board=writing;num=1107479312;start=0#0 date=02/03/05 at 17:08:32]Hey guys,

I'm in need of some inspiration.  I'm working on the beginnings of some short (and not so short) scripts.  Am I the only one who just can't seem to be happy with a script no matter what?  I mean, I really want to go out and shoot but I don't feel that anything I have is worth shooting yet (particuarily in terms of cost).  
[/quote]

Man! This is EXACTLY what I'm going through. I have a 65 page script I've been revising for almost month and just can't reach the point of satisfaction with it. I don't know what it is. And I'm also anxious to shoot. I know it's a great story, but there's just something not quite right with it. A couple of people have suggested that I try re-writing it as prose, i.e., a short story, that this might help me discover what's missing.
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

That's an interesting suggestion. I may have to try that as well. The only problem then is - what do I do if it's a short?! :D

Glad I'm not the only one suffering ;). I actually made some great progress today so I'm rather happy at the moment.
 
Re: Oh Wonderous Writing....

Perfect is the enemy of good.

The odds are very much that your script will change in the process of shooting, anyway, as all the variables that come into play exert their influence.

Don't worry about the script being "perfect;" no one is going to watch your perfect script, but rather the movie you make from it.

Free advice, guaranteed to be worth at least as much as you paid for it...
 
Back
Top