Jim Feeley
Veteran
A couple questions about SSDs & PP:
1) Have any of you chosen Samsung 850 Pro SSDs over the less-expensive 850 EVO SSDs? At a basic level, I get the differences in tech and warranty (EVO 5yr vs PRO 10yr). But the main interest to me is the PRO's higher endurance NAND and reported lower operating temp. As in: when used as a cache drive, is the higher endurance of the PRO worth its higher price?
1a) Is there a different model or brand SATA SSD you recommend over the Samsung 850?
2) Think of this question as a poll rather than just a query for advice. I know the answer depends on the type and length of media and projects we're all working on, and for me that's usually 15-min or shorter corp and docs, occasionally offline for longer docs, 1080 just occasional 4K so far, not much RAW. But in general (and assuming you're dedicating a SSD at least partly to a scratch/media cache), what size SSD are you using for your media cache and is that big enough for your needs?
3) Windows mavens: In your editing do you feel any advantage to using a NVMe SSD vs a SATA SSD, or is any speed advantage not really noticed day in, day out? I'm more interested in editing responsiveness than in export times.
4) Thanks!
Jim
5) PS- Yep, I've googled around and this is article and its comments are helpful. But I'm quite interested in what you all are doing:
Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.4 Storage Optimization
Written on November 30, 2016 by Matt Bach
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/
1) Have any of you chosen Samsung 850 Pro SSDs over the less-expensive 850 EVO SSDs? At a basic level, I get the differences in tech and warranty (EVO 5yr vs PRO 10yr). But the main interest to me is the PRO's higher endurance NAND and reported lower operating temp. As in: when used as a cache drive, is the higher endurance of the PRO worth its higher price?
1a) Is there a different model or brand SATA SSD you recommend over the Samsung 850?
2) Think of this question as a poll rather than just a query for advice. I know the answer depends on the type and length of media and projects we're all working on, and for me that's usually 15-min or shorter corp and docs, occasionally offline for longer docs, 1080 just occasional 4K so far, not much RAW. But in general (and assuming you're dedicating a SSD at least partly to a scratch/media cache), what size SSD are you using for your media cache and is that big enough for your needs?
3) Windows mavens: In your editing do you feel any advantage to using a NVMe SSD vs a SATA SSD, or is any speed advantage not really noticed day in, day out? I'm more interested in editing responsiveness than in export times.
4) Thanks!
Jim
5) PS- Yep, I've googled around and this is article and its comments are helpful. But I'm quite interested in what you all are doing:
Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.4 Storage Optimization
Written on November 30, 2016 by Matt Bach
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/