NTSC Monitor

ftroop

Member
I'm looking to get a field monitor, like a "8, 9" or maybe 13"
but I must say that I have no experience with them.
What do I look for and also, what is blue check? In layman's terms
please. :)

Thanks
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

sony is a good bet.. blue gun button only fires the blue so you can calibrate the monitor. I would also suggest getting one with 16x9 and more importantly a underscan button as you can only see partial picture on the DVX viewfinder.
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

I have a JVC TM-H1375SU 13" monitor. I am very pleased with it. It can do 16:9, but has no blue check. It does allow you to calibrate it through a special menu though. I use it both with my edit suite and in the field. But for field use, I'd probably go with a 9" next time. Size, weight and a top handle are important.
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

Thanks Guys,

I heard about that JVC monitor and it's fairly cheap too, about $500 right? and has something like 750 lines.
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

Yep, 750 lines of resolution. That was one of my criterias when looking for a reference monitor. I keeped flinching when I saw monitors at 350 or 400 lines. I am sure if you shop around, you'll find good deals.

$700 :o for a Sony PVM 20" monitor is a very good price, but for field use it's way too big :-/. I heard from a Sony reseller that the PVM series (not the BVM) tubes are actually consumer TV tubes. You might want to verify that info, as I'm not sure if it's 100% true.
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

I have a Sony PVM-8045Q and it is wonderful. I find the 450 lines to be adequate, and even an advantage, if your project will be seen on standard televisions.

It has all the features that Zoom suggests getting.
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

Hence the need for a good ref monitor on s-video, and a standard TV on composite. Having both extremes really help narrow down lots of problems.

But we're getting side tracked here. ftroop wants a field monitor, and 20", although very attractive size and price wise, is pretty cumbersome. As for the number of TV lines, it really doesn't matter how many there are on a field monitor, regardless if it's a 8", 9" 13", or 20".
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

Great advise from all! Gives me a place to start and things to consider, which is exactly what I wanted. :D
 
Re: NTSC Monitor

[quote author=Flintstone link=board=Links;num=1067226698;start=0#7 date=10/28/03 at 18:53:46]Hence the need for a good ref monitor on s-video, and a standard TV on composite.  Having both extremes really help narrow down lots of problems.

But we're getting side tracked here.  ftroop wants a field monitor, and 20", although very attractive size and price wise, is pretty cumbersome.  As for the number of TV lines, it really doesn't matter how many there are on a field monitor, regardless if it's a 8", 9" 13", or 20".[/quote]

What about LCD monitors like Panasonic's TC-7WMS1? How much quality or reliability can you get from them? They are certainly lighter and drain less than a CRT monitor.


Carlos
 
Back
Top