Ntg3

Fliplink

Member
So i was looking at the price of this Rode mic and i was suprised how the pakage on bhphotovideo was so cheap! Say a 1,079.00 cheap! So i was just wondering, before i buy it, if there are any clips right now on the internet, or is it too new? I tryed looking on these forums, and not only on here but on the Rode site and vimeo and youtube, i found none! If anyone can give me a direction here ill make you toast, thanks so much :)
 
I've got an NTG-3 I ordered from Guy at DVeStore several weeks ago and like its sound a lot. I've got a couple of quick clips that I've recorded with it, drop me a PM with your email and I send 'em to you.
 
Last edited:
I hope this is a good sounding mic.

I'd be curious to hear a comparison of this vs. 4073a.

4073a = 500
NTG3 = 700
 
What if you'd share it on rapidshare (or a similar service) with us? You wouldn't have providing fees that way.

Just an idea, you don't have to put it out in open.
 
I hope this is a good sounding mic.

I'd be curious to hear a comparison of this vs. 4073a.

4073a = 500
NTG3 = 700

Matt- If you'll do a little write-up and record some samples, I'll loan you a brand spankin' new RODE NTG-3.

Remember, we loaned you a mic a few years ago and you faithfully returned it, so I know I can trust you.
 
I'll check 'em out - been looking for a venue to post 'em

Hi Steve,

Thanks for picking up an NTG-3 from us. I appreciate the business. We're also offering a $100 coupon to any dvxuser forum member using the coupon code "dv' Also, if you'd like, I'd love to host your sample NTG-3 files on our site.
 
Matt- If you'll do a little write-up and record some samples, I'll loan you a brand spankin' new RODE NTG-3.

Remember, we loaned you a mic a few years ago and you faithfully returned it, so I know I can trust you.

I'm up for this. Yeah I'd love to check it out. I appreciate your attitude about this, as well as the previous mic... that was an NT6 I believe?

While I loved the form factor and potential versatility of the previous mic, I wasn't impressed with the sound of it (or perhaps more proper to say sonic characteristics)... but at least you know that I can't be influenced to get excited about anything that doesn't genuinely impress me... and I'd like to think that adds some weight to my opinion when something does.

If I give one of these a try, and it's a good mic, or perhaps even a great mic... you can be assured I'll let the world know about it... and if I don't think much of the mic... I'm not nearly as enthusiastic to bash a product, but I will make that clear as well. I'm sure if somebody searches out that last mic model they'll see that they can count on me to share my honest feelings about these things.

One of my biggest gripes about magazines like VideoMaker (and to a certain extent DV)... is that aside from the things that they give awards (or diamond ratings)... every other thing they write up reads like an endorsing review. You have to try really hard to read between the lines just in case the reviewer has hidden any real opinions in there... because their write-ups read as if the first concern is to protect advertising revenue.

I read some quote a long time ago about the battle of making advertisers happy vs. just always telling the fully disclosed truth... and to paraphrase it, if a publication always tells the truth they will always have readers, and therefore always have advertisers, but if a publication withholds some truth to protect advertisers they will lose readers, and eventually lose those advertisers anyway.

So there you go... if you feel the same way and you're excited about this mic... at least you know I'll give my total, unbiased impressions of it... good or bad. :beer:
 
Those are the opinions people really want to read. If you're genuinely impressed, mention anything at all you would change still, just so everyone knows you're not just a 'yes' man. This helps everyone decide on gear, for what you don't like might not matter to someone else, so even a negative review overall could result in positive things for that product. You just never know.
 
I've been using an NTG-3 for quite a while and I love it. Folk say 'oh yeah, get the 416 it's the industry standard'. But here comes a comparable mic at just over half the price.

IMO it sounds warmer (read better) than a 416 and one definite advantage is a slightly wider pattern which would help newbies on booms with 2 or more talent.

IMO one slight disadvantage is, there's no low cut on the G-3. On location you need a rig with low cut(s) available in the signal path somewhere.

Cheers.
 
Steve I just dropped you an e-mail maybe for some clips if you got 'em. Thanks for the replys..:) :) This forum is uber fast on replys its nice!
 
Well, I'm beginning to feel that we should all come clean here... Raster loves all Rode products... and at MSRP in every post on 4 forums now.

Why do you have the identical posts on several forums Raster? You know the old "duck thing"... if it looks like a duck, etc? So do you work for Rode or what?

My blimp deal got killed... and now Guy intercepted my inspection of the NT3.

What's up everybody? Why did the DV store send out an NT3 for me to check out... and then intercept the delivery?

Why don't we all just come clean. If Raster is getting free advertising on DVXuser for Rode... it's about time we expose that... it doesn't speak well of the mic when in PM's I say to Guy that I'm going to report honestly about it, and then he tells UPS to NOT deliver the mic. I guess maybe the 416 spanks it... huh?

So should Raster's signature be Alan Black... aka Rode Salesman?

Not sure if Raster works for RODE or what, but I did do a little digging and found a post in another forum where he says he knew Henry Freedman, which is RODE CEO Peter Freedman's dad. So he's been around awhile.

On the RODE NTG-3 loaner we were sending you, RODE offered to send you, and two other mic reviewers, a mic directly from the factory so we would not have to sacrifice our own. Thus the reason we sent an intercept on the package we originally sent. My apologies for any confusion.

In regards to testing, Ty Ford and Dan Brockett are the same way, if you're a credible mic reviewer and simply ask, RODE and many other microphone manufacturers will send you a loaner. The thing about the one I was going to send you was that if you really liked it and wanted to keep it, I was going to offer it to you at a huge discount, since I know that you have bought all your other RODE mics out of pocket. I can still get you a good chunk off if you do wind up liking the mic, but hey Matt, If you think the NTG-3 (or any other product I send to review) sucks, well, that is a risk I'm willing to take since it's not really going to hurt us, it's only going to help us, because if something sucks, we simply don't sell it. If something turns out to be a gem, that's awesome! That's the goal of our company, find the good stuff and recommend it. We're not a B&H where we carry every product, only the good stuff. The only cost to us is just the time of typing a message to a reviewer and the small shipping cost. We just keep trying to find the product that is the "best in its class-dollar for dollar, best bang for the buck". In fact, the next thing I was thinking about having you try out is a Azden FMX-42 field mixer. The brand I love to hate. But it is a product I'd like your honest opinion on.

What I'm doing is grass roots, putting new products in the hands of people who I think might like them and who would most likely have never tried them otherwise and hoping they can write a good review and possibly put up a sample. We're doing this with a couple of products, not just mics, but other gear too-even in churches! If we really like a product, we let people who have experience try it and write a review, it's that simple.

So we know you can't be swayed Matt. Let us truly know what you think of the RODE NTG-3 when it arrives. Is it a 416 killer or not. Does the 4073 put it to shame? I know in my mind what I think, but since I'm a reseller and sponsor and have a vested interest, people may or may not value my opinion as much as yours. At the end of the day, we just want to recommend the best product for the price point. That's why we carry a variety from a few of the biggest names in the industry, Audio Technica, Sony, Sennheiser, and yes, absolutely, RODE.

We appreciate you taking the time to review, I know you're busy, we all are, so really, thanks in advance.

And BTW, not sure what is going on with the blimp thing, but I will look into offering a group buy for dvxuser members. I think the US guys are getting the shaft on that one. I'll see what I can do to help.
 
Guy thanks for your comment. Yes, I've been in pro sound for 46 years, 30 with my own very successful a/v and sound studios, before I sold and retired a few years ago. And I knew Henry Freedman when he made guitar amps out of a small rented shop on Parramatta Road here.

Should see what he then son Peter have built now! I can't say it's rags to riches because Henry wore great suits :)

And I agree with your further comments, the difference in the Aust. and US Blimp price is, I understand, mostly due to US import duties.

It works in reverse for us, want to know what a SD 302 costs here? And I couldn't buy one from a US dealer, Sound Devices prohibit it to protect the dealers here.

Sorry Matt, not guilty I'm not paid by RODE in any way at all other than I now have certain of their products for testing and that's all. By posting results and news I figure I can answer questions about the products helping others, and IMO they're great otherwise I wouldn't do it. My studios actually beta tested their very first mics.

If I was a paid RODE agent here, I'd be an employee and I'd add it to my signature, and they'd make me do it.

More history. I registered as Raster in 2003-04 on a few forums but didn't post much.
Later in 04, I was invited to join Panasonic 3CCDuser.com as moderator so I chose the name Action, so what I never gave it a second thought. I'm still there. DVinfo require 'real' names.

I'm not a sponsor here so I can say, if you promote deals like yours for the Blimp on public forums, where would it end? If it worked others would start doing it.

But I made no comment about it, or in your thread. At least you can credit me for one thing.....Cheers.

Everyones starting to do it :)
 
Back
Top