Newbie question

hdgriffith

New member
Hello,

as I play with the trial, I get enthused about Edius. Seems very promising. And seems like many here agree. However, I do see some of the reservations one or two have mentioned.

As per the GUI, it seemed slightly anti intuitive at first, yes, but then I saw the layouts VIEW> layout > apply section.

Wow - Great idea! However I don't see how to apply hot keys to the layouts one makes . Hopefully the settings are right in front of me. { I'm sure I'm not expected to dig through menus every time I want to use one, right? }

thanks!
 
You can save different layouts and use them in different stages of your work.
In my case, i saved a layout for "video editing" where one of my monitor is filled with the record view and another layout for "audio edit" where i have a large space allocated for the sound mixer palette. I dont see the necessity of having hotkeys for layouts, the keyboard shortcuts and button can be costomized though.

Ted
 
Thanks Ted, for reply.

You can save different layouts and use them in different stages of your work.In my case, i saved a layot for "video editing" where one of my monitor is filled with the record view and another layout for "audio edit" where i have a large space allocated for the sound mixer palette.

>> sure.

I dont see the necessity of having hotkeys for layouts,

>> Well you're lucky to run two monitors on the desktop. I can see why your satisfied.

But today more and more editors go in the field with laptops. Where screen real estate is at a premium and flexibility - and speed - are a necessity.


the keyboard shortcuts and button can be costomized though.

>> Yes I know. The video tutorial also praised this as a great flexible feature,
but then stopped abruptly short of showing you the details.


Perhaps I wasn't clear, so I ask again - where / how can layouts be hotkeyed in there?

I see many key choices in there. Albeit some strange. How can you add YOUR CUSTOM LAYOUTS as a Hotkey selection - either to ACCESS or TOGGLE through?

{ also what I did try in there , SETTINGS > APPLICATION - CUSTOMIZE - KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS seemed buggy.}


I've still got my fingers crossed { lack of this would weigh on the side of a deal breaker, unfortunately. }

thanks
 
Hmm, normal layout is Alt-Shift-L, but I don't see a command for toggling layouts, though there's "layout - new registration" shortcut that I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

I'm doing some maintenance on my install right now, otherwise I'd check.

Brandon
 
Oh yeah, remember that you can "dock" the Effect, Bin, Information and Marker palletes together.

I run EDIUS on my desktop (with one monitor) with the Monitor window upper-left in Single mode, Information pallete to the right of that, and docked Bin/Effect/Marker to the right of that, with Timeline occupying the bottom half of the screen.

Everyone comes up with something they're comfortable with though. I like having a larger (wider) timeline, with Information semi-centrally above the timeline, so I can see/adjust my effects.

Brandon
 
>> Thanks Brandon, for reply

Hmm, normal layout is Alt-Shift-L,


>> Alt-Shift-L - Try doing THAT with one hand LOL!

but I don't see a command for toggling layouts, though there's "layout - new registration" shortcut that I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

>> Well from my test, it appears that is to key a choice of Layout. hmmmmm.
Not too important imho. How often would one need THAT?

But they seem to have forgotten the option I want, correct? Something I could
see using EVERY session.


Oh yeah, remember that you can "dock" the Effect, Bin, Information and Marker palletes together.

>> No, not sure how that works? Does that get rid of the up to THREE Edius Icons on the windows bar? Sorry, but I find that a bit excessive. anyone have a suggestion for consolidating that?

Again, I'm really trying to like Edius, but it seems the rather awkward GUI seems to appeal to an acquired taste.

Do users find their suggestions are implemented quickly in new versions?


Thanks.
 
Yes the GUI takes some getting used to, but once you do, I think you will be quite happy.

As far as consolidating some of the windows, here's what Brandon was talking about, and what (I think) you are asking:

You have effects, information, and bin windows for example. What you can do is click and drag the little tab that says effects over to the one that says bin. Then do it for information, or any of the windows that you want. What this does, is put everything where it only takes up one window space (your size preference). Then you can just click the tab for each one and toggle back and forth. Very space saving for one monitor. I use it some for two monitors even.

I don't know about being able to apply different hotkeys to different saved layouts. I don't think you can do that, but don't take my word for it. I would hope that wouldn't be a deal breaker for you though, really. It only takes you all of 3 seconds to go up and load one of your pre-determined layouts, if I am following what it is you are asking.

Later,
Jason
 
The "switch to Layout" keystroke would be good. I'm not sure the current way the keyboard shortcuts will support this though. A "cycle layout" keystroke might be possible too.
 
Back
Top