New Timelapse Video shot on Canon 5D Mark II (HD)

Tom Lowe

Well-known member
Just some new stuff I've shot on the 5D2 DSLR over the last couple months...

http://www.vimeo.com/4038064

I LOVE this camera. The shots I'm doing at ISO 3200 are cleaner than my ISO 800 images on my old Rebel XT.

Most of these were done with the EF 24 f/1.4.
 
WOW... really great stuff (and Floyd...how can you beat that?). I have to readup on timelapse, I'd love to know how to accomplish a result like that.

Thanks for sharing.
 
I've seen your stuff before and, as always, I'm completely impressed. Since you're shooting with the MKII on these, which obviously has video capabilities, are you still utilizing the mechanical shutter for every shot?

I always read about the limited life of the mechanical shutter and obviously this timelapse stuff gives it a workout. With a camera like the 5D that shoots video, are you able to do your thing without the mechanical shutter working for every shot?
 
for the timelapse, i'm still using the shutter, but because i'm shooting from live view, i'm not using the mirror, which saves a ton of energy. even if the 5D2 could shoot 1080p timelapse at like 1fps or whatever, the quality of the video is like 1/5 the quality of shooting full RAW frames and then demosaicing to 1080p or 4K clips. it would be convenient, but the quality would be pretty low. the 5D2's 1080p is barely passable, IMHO.
 
Great stuff as usual Tom. I'm a fan. :)

In the shots with the Saguaro cacti in the foreground and the stars, there are bright flashes in the lower right as well as thin, bright streaks. Is that an airport? Are you down near Tucson?

Larry
 
Great stuff as usual Tom. I'm a fan. :)

In the shots with the Saguaro cacti in the foreground and the stars, there are bright flashes in the lower right as well as thin, bright streaks. Is that an airport? Are you down near Tucson?

Larry

I shot those in Ajo, AZ, and the crazy lights in the bottom-right corner are some type of military activity at the nearby Air Force Goldwater bombing range. The bright lights are drop flares meant to illuminate battlefields. Not sure what the spinning aircraft were. :shocked:
 
Back
Top