new site thoughts

alveraz

Veteran
So I had to re-design an html site for SEO reasons and trash my flash site.

Anyway, I wanted something simple and easy to navigate. There are a few things that I obviously need to change (thumbnail resolution) but take a look at the overall design and give me your thoughts. There are two pages missing that will be up tonight, my FAQ and testimonials pages, both loaded with info. So sorry for the lack of details right now. Keep one thing in mind, this is strictly for actor headshots in Los Angeles. All thoughts welcome!

www.zampanophoto.com

Thanks!
 
One thought: The pics on the main page made me want to click them although they are not clickable, that´s almost frustrating.
 
Simple design - Easy to navigate

Simple design - Easy to navigate

You succeeded on a simple design that's easy to navigate. It seems like you're wasting a lot of screen realestate. You might want to make it adapt to larger screen sizes a little better. I'd also increase your thumbnail sizes.
 
"One thought: The pics on the main page made me want to click them although they are not clickable, that´s almost frustrating."


Then stop clicking them.

:)
 
You succeeded on a simple design that's easy to navigate. It seems like you're wasting a lot of screen realestate. You might want to make it adapt to larger screen sizes a little better. I'd also increase your thumbnail sizes.

Great thoughts, thanks! I'm on it :)
 
"One thought: The pics on the main page made me want to click them although they are not clickable, that´s almost frustrating."


Then stop clicking them.

:)
lol :D I can´t help it.^^ But for real... I think you don´t want to have people coming on the side and being annoyed by such a minor thing.
 
Hmm. No one else on the various forums I've posted this on has mentioned that as being a problem. i dont think anyone wants to click the images on the home page as bad as you do. There's a samples page for that. But, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
 
One of the better versions I've seen you make, but I agree it should be bigger. Also, I agree that you should make the thumb nails bigger, or even have fewer of them if need be. Also, with Lightbox or Thickbox or whatever you are using for your java overlay, you can make multiple galleries......that way you could break it down by women or men or something. Technically you already have one big gallery, but just thinking of ways to reduce the thumb nail clutter. Also, the images are only 375x250 when they are large....and that is really tiny. People really want to see them. Watermark them and make them huge man. You got great shots and the bigger the better. I would say at least 800 pixels on the long side.....maybe 1000. Most peoples monitors will support that without scrolling (except for a few smaller laptops maybe).

You redo this thing a lot man. Must take a lot of your time.
 
Thanks Dan, great thoughts and suggestions. I'm definitely going to resize those samples. Thanks!

As for time, it was never a problem with the flash site, that was all automated, just a couple clicks here and there. This one is a little more hands on but still pretty easy. I play with the site for maybe 2 hours a week really.

Thanks again.
 
fixed the image sizes in the samples area, couldnt adjust the thumbs but created larger images when clicked. better?
 
Thanks Mino, I just spent 12 hours redoing the entire site again, pretty frustrating but the SEO is much better now and I still like the look. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
 
I like the site, love the color scheme... love your photography. LOVE. IT.

I don't get annoyed by stuff like this, but I gotta' say that I also tried clicking two of the head shots. *click* "hmm?"... *click* "hmm?... I guess they don't link... oh here it is... 'samples'... that should do it."

Just on instinct I guess. For your front page it wouldn't be hard to make any pics link to the gallery/samples. The main page photos are bigger then a thumbnail, but a collection of small photos are perceived as thumbnails, and when one really catches your eye or imagination, it's a normal internet thing to assume that clicking that "thumbnail" will make it bigger or take you to more pics like it.

If you wanted to link 'em then link 'em... if not, then who cares. I was just saying that other guy isn't that far off the mark, and I'm surprised that nobody on any other forum has had the same thought.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top