Need help with postproduction archiving for DV tapes

You can use PP1.5's project manager to extract just the video that you used, then save the project files to DVD. A 10 minute project should be able to fit on to a 4.7g DVD.
 
Wait...Is your answer for future archiving or for pulling out the videos already there on burned dvds? Could you explain a little bit more? I'm not an idiot but I just like to make sure for fear of screwing up badly.
 
Are you guys recording uncompressed .avi to DVD+R as data ? In other words, do you drag the file onto the disc, if so then it's data. That's among the highest quality options. Simply put the DVD+R disc back in the computer, then copy it over to your HDD and re-compress for the web, if necessary. Or, just store a web-version of each project on the same data-dvd backup disc.

Recording VIDEO to a Video DVD+R, recapturing in Premier, then re-encoding for the web is foolish.

Your original workflow, if I understand correctly, seems among the best options. The only other suggestion I could think of is a media with higher capacity, like another HDD, for example. DVD+R discs are single layer discs and limited to under 5GB capacity. I think Apple was going to include a dual layer DVD-R system in the future, or maybe they are today, I'm not sure. Regardless of the kind of disc or drive used, uncompressed .avi is the way to go, IMHO, for the highest quality backup solution in Standard Definition. It's as good as recording to a $50,000 Panasonic D5 uncompressed standard definition deck, only it doesn't cost 50 Grand.
 
anangbhai said:
Wait...Is your answer for future archiving or for pulling out the videos already there on burned dvds? Could you explain a little bit more? I'm not an idiot but I just like to make sure for fear of screwing up badly.

My suggestion was for future archiving, but now I realize that you were asking about the video you already have.

I would have to agree with Thisiswells that saving uncompressed avi as data on a dvd is a good way to archive. Unfortunately the capacity of the dvd is only about 15 minutes of uncompressed video. To load it back into PP1.5, just copy the avi back to your hard drive, then import it into your project. No need to recapture.

For future archiving, here are some advantages to using the project manager:

1. You have all your original time lines and edit decisions
2. You save only the portion of each clip that you actually use in your project (you can add handles if you want)

This will make it easier for you if you want to re-edit the project in the future.
 
Back
Top