Need Hard Drive Help Quickly

Here's my suggestion: get two of the Voyager docks for bare HDs (also available from OWC). Copy footage to each bare drive individually, then store one away until your project is finished. If you are super careful like me, when the project is finished delivered and approved, store copies of the final products on both drives and archive them…

A RAID protects you from low-level drive problems. It dies not protect you from human error or computer errors, which are far more likely to occur.

I use five of the Voyagers in different contexts, and they've been great. Buying a couple of bare drives (I've never had trouble with what's now 68 hitachi deskstars) per project (and recycling them when projects are done) is cheap and saves a lot of time looking for and clearing space.

Also look for "drivebox", I think by weißtech… fairly cheap in the 10-packs; a good way to store the bate drives…
 
Why don´t you just buy a 20 bucks e-sata or USB3 card and stick it into your computer?
That would be way faster than FW800 and you would have much wider (and cheaper) options for extra drives.

Frank
 
Oh, sorry I missed that.

It´s a shame they make black boxes you can´t modify when you need.

Frank
 
Back
Top