My 35mm Adapter

If you're going to say no tutorial, make the sure your computer screen isn't showing one.

Maybe you should use one though, those are way too grainy.
 
Haha, looking at that other thread gave me the idea to make one but i didnt use it. It tells me to use a macro in that thread I used a wide angle.. Its grainy because I had the gain all the way up. I'll have some daytime stills today.
 
Err, it looks like you just sticky taped the lens staright onto the sony stock lens?? wheres your ground glass?
 
Is that good or bad.

BTW I dont have a ground glass in there, and I think it still looks pretty good for not having one.
 
you can get images, close to the mini35 with the home adapters, in some cases (if you have enough light and enough knowhow) you can get images looking better, since the old mini35 (i use one at work) has the rotating GG and it looks like a vortex.

if you can mask the grain, or it doesn't bother you... you can get results a lot better than that, it just takes some time and CAD :)
 
steveny said:
Is that good or bad.

BTW I dont have a ground glass in there, and I think it still looks pretty good for not having one.
Depends. Some people render for hours to get that look on raw footage. Just saw the Amityville Horror remake on DVD (sucked big time btw), and they had many scenes of people watching old home movies. That footage looked just like yours.

Its not really a bad thing, it depends on what you want from your adapter. Most people who buy commercial adapters or build their own want the image to be a crisp as their stock lens, just a shallower DOF. So hours upon hours are spent on ground glass configurations, with grain being enemy numero uno. With good GG/focusing screens: the image is clean, but it still has that flickery sharpness of video.

Then there are some who may want their adapter to add the organic feel that film has. Yours has that. But its also a little too much, IMO. I am refining a design using the Nikon D focusing screen and have had good results; it adds a subtle ammount of grain, but no more than I would see in 16mm footage. I actualy like it, whats in focus has no grain, the out of focus stuff, just a tad.

Read some more on it at dvinfo.net, those guys are real hard core about their adapters. If you're happy with the image than you're good to go, but if you want to refine it, than do so. Look into rotating ground glass, or static focusing screens/microwax.

I have been working on mine for about 4 months now, and will many failures I have spent way more the the $50 I originally intended. But its fun for me, and its something I can say I made myself.
 
I still think that this is an item that you should NOT build yourself. Unless you have the right stuff(ie knowlegde and tools) this should be left to the pros. Build a dolly or jib or matte box but NEVER compromise when it comes to getting a good image. I agree that the look is not "bad" if you are going for that look, but I would rather shoot with the lens that is on the camera or buy a real adapter, then manipulate the image to look like that. You cant make that image clean but you can make a clean image look like the examples above.
 
high8 said:
I still think that this is an item that you should NOT build yourself. Unless you have the right stuff(ie knowlegde and tools) this should be left to the pros. Build a dolly or jib or matte box but NEVER compromise when it comes to getting a good image. I agree that the look is not "bad" if you are going for that look, but I would rather shoot with the lens that is on the camera or buy a real adapter, then manipulate the image to look like that. You cant make that image clean but you can make a clean image look like the examples above.
dont listen to this guy. With my first try at an adapter my image looked like crap, but it made me want to do better, and to learn more. Some of the best looking footage is coming from adapters made by regular shmos at dvinfo.net, and some of thier first attempts didnt look so great. Most people dont post thier first attempts like this kid did. Keep trying steveny
 
Edweirdo said:
dont listen to this guy. With my first try at an adapter my image looked like crap, but it made me want to do better, and to learn more. Some of the best looking footage is coming from adapters made by regular shmos at dvinfo.net, and some of thier first attempts didnt look so great. Most people dont post thier first attempts like this kid did. Keep trying steveny

to me, I don't think it's worth the time. The concept is easy to understand, but the labour time I would have to put into tweaking it and such is not worth it (for me atleast)

But if you like tinkering, then for sure, building one yourself will be a good project.

I'd just rather spend $350 and have someone ship one to me.

steveny, you need a ground glass... unless that's the look you want :huh:
 
"dont listen to this guy?" well.... guess I shouldn't post my opinions on this site. So many times I have disagreed with people on this site. Not once did I tell people not to listen to someone else.
My point in the previous post is just as valid as yours
 
high8 said:
"dont listen to this guy?" well.... guess I shouldn't post my opinions on this site. So many times I have disagreed with people on this site. Not once did I tell people not to listen to someone else.
My point in the previous post is just as valid as yours
you are right, my apologies then. I should have said "don't let this guy dissuade you", a momentary lapse in my forum pc skills :)
 
Back
Top