Multicam Editing in FCP.X..sort of

Nathyn

Low Budget Ninja
I found this on Youtube. I hope it helps. I'm finding a lot of people are creating work arounds for missing parts of of FCPX. I'm anxious to work with it and will get it when I get my new iMac in a few months. I will probably use it to edit church vids in until I get ready to shoot Divinity. I'm also considering a web show, so who knows.


-Nate
 
I feel it must be stated this is not multiclip this is video editing. Two cameras like this is a breeze, three not to bad, four workable, but try 12 or 16. It will get tough quick.
 
And even with two or three cameras, this method runs into problems when the clips get long, because you can't just play though to easily spot your edit points the way you can when you see all the camera angles at once (like in the multicam handling in FCP 7 or PPro). You'll probably end up forever soloing and unsoloing things to see what is happening in the currently selected clip.

Actually, for narrative stuff with short takes I've been doing it this way in FCP X and it does work OK. It is a bit laborious, but bearable. The stuff shot on multiple cameras in 30+ minute rolling takes more in the style of outside broadcast I've been doing in FCP 7. Funny how quickly I've got used to the fluid editing style of FCP X- going back to FCP 7 feels like swimming through glue now!

Hywel
 
Back
Top