Monitors

alwayslearning

Well-known member
Ok, I have this scarey question ....
I do most of my photo/photoshop stuff on my laptop. It serves me well. It has connector on it for an extra monitor. Never used it before ..... until a couple days ago. A guy I know bought some used LCD monitors; Dell, Acer, NEC ... I forget the other ... He wanted me to check them out for him as he bought them without seeing them turned on. I took each one and connected it to my laptop.

WHOA!!!! A photo that I think looks just fine on my laptop, looked ok but different on two of the monitors ... I can see both my laptop and the external at the same time ... and looked like CRAP on each of the other two! What in the world are folks seeing on their monitors when they look at my stuff?

My two-point-question is, what are you guys using for monitors and how do you adjust them? Do you just use bars like we do for video? All of a sudden I have no confidence that any of my photos look like photos let alone decent photos on other monitors.

Larry
 
Last edited:
I have a 24" cheapo Soyo 1920x1280 LCD monitor and a 17" 1280x1024 Dell that I have turned vertically. I use a Spider 2Pro to set the color profiles on this machine (running XP, and is my main editing machine). It supports different profiles for each monitor so they are as close as possible. I also use the S2P on my MacBook, but it doesn't have the same hosrepower or HDD space the tower has....so color is not as critical on it (even though it is awesome pretty much all the time).

As for adjustment, the S2P software takes you through all you need to do to get it right.
 
Ok, I'm finally at a place where I can get monitors. I found this site to be most helpful:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

I did not know about the various LCD panel types. Based on this site (confirmed at a few others), the IPS technology is definitely what we want as photographers and video producers. I just wanted to share the info with anyone thinking of upgrading.

I want large. I'll be using CS4 apps for video/effects, etc. I'm trying to decide between one 30" or two 24". Probably the latter as they would be about 4-5 hundred dollars cheaper than the one 30".

Any more input from anyone is fully appreciated; especially if you already had knowledge of TN, VA and IPS technologies.

Thanks,
Larry
 
This is my likely candidate/s. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3648442.html

When they are a reality, I'll let you know what I think. Hopefully by the end of next week or mid following week.

Many, many forums state to stay away from Samsung because of contrast issues. I called a friend of mine that does media production for a living and before I said anything, he said steer clear of Samsung ...... blacks and whites are junk on them. Where he works, they had them. He went with some IPS Dells.

Larry
 
Back
Top