I wanted to talk about metering and focus modes because the Canon 5D manual is pretty generic.
Just to make sure I have this right on metering:
Just to make sure I have this right on focusing:
Just to make sure I have this right on metering:
- I would use spot metering for measuring reflected light and drawing attention to a specific point in the image. Spot metering from the camera is no replacement for a light meter because a light meter can read the incident light and the camera can only read reflective.
- Spot and partial metering would be useful for shooting silhouettes against a bright background.
- Evaluative metering is suitable for most uses: say streetwalking and sports photography.
- Are there any uses for center-weighted metering?
Just to make sure I have this right on focusing:
- Single shot is good for posed subjects and subjects that won't likely move.
- Servo focus is nice for shooting perpendicular to the action.
- Predictive focus is used for shooting action parallel, e.g. a runner moving at you.