Lookin' for a Literary Agent

Smithhouse

Well-known member
Hey guys...

Since many agencies prefer a recommendation before considering takin' on a new writer. I wanted to see if anyone here is with an L.A. agency and would be willing to check out some of my writing, in hopes of maybe passing it along to an agent. I currently have two completed feature length scripts. One is a coming of age romantic comedy, and the other is a dramatic action comedy, both of these are centered around teens... I also have a completed short (suspense Thriller) that I will expand into a feature after finishing a feature comedy script I'm working on. If someone can help me get representation I will gladly give them a 10% management fee on whichever script sales, just for getting me in the door.

I know this is not your traditional method for getting representation, but I honestly don't have the money for script writing competitions or sending out query letters, reproducing and mailing out scripts, and the like...

Can you help?


Trevor L. Smith
SmithHouse Entertainment
 
Sorry, can't help with the agent thing -- looking for one myself. But a lot of agencies and managers now accept query e-mails (check out Creative Screenwriting magazine -- they often list companies and agencies that do), so no need to actually mail stuff out. A lot of places will also accept loglines on-line and then contact you if they're interested in reading your material. Of course, actually knowing someone with an agent, who's willing to recommend your material to said agent, is better, but there are options.
 
Trevor, I wish you luck and hope landing an agent is as simple as asking for an "in" at a camera site. Aside from sending out emails, networking is also usefull.

But I wouldn't bother with either if you can't afford a stamp for an envelope.

EJ
 
EJ Pennypacker said:
Trevor, I wish you luck and hope landing an agent is as simple as asking for an "in" at a camera site. Aside from sending out emails, networking is also usefull.

But I wouldn't bother with either if you can't afford a stamp for an envelope.

EJ


Hey guys, just for understanding, I'm simply exploring all the options I can pursue right now. I will look for sites on the internet where I can submit loglines or scripts on line and see how that pans out...

Pennypacker, since when does it only take "A STAMP" to get your script into the hands of an agent? I started this thread because I see nothing wrong with asking. If I'm in a position to help and someone asks, I help. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thinks along these lines. I'm 35, married with 4 girls, supporting a family by pastoring a small church and teaching karate(intresting combo, huh), and I can write... So no, I don't have extra money for mailing a ton of resume style query letters, reproducing, binding, and sending out scripts...

when I can, I will... but until then I'll keep asking.

SmithHouse
 
SmithHouse,

Writing a script sure has hidden costs. Paper. Cardstock. Brads. The washers for those brads. The ink cartridges you get thru. The cost of buying an envelope for the script. The cost of S&H for the script.

Then there's the software, and countless books one buys in the search for knowledge...

The cost all builds up very quickly.

I wish you luck in your search for an Agent/Manager. You are right. If you don't ask, you don't get. Hope it works out for you.

EJ

PS; Yes, pastoring a small church and teaching karate is an interesting combo. I think that's a script right there.
 
Thanks pennypacker...

I really appreciate your response... I'm sure I'll get there, just might take a bit longer than I would hope.

Cheers,

SmithHouse
 
Well, I applaud EJ's reserved response, I probably would not have been so generous. I'll assume you are a screenwriter and this is what you want to do? My response is based on this assumption. Welcome to the real world of screenwriting. I have two kids a wife and a small apartment. I barely get by on meager writing assignments that pay the bills, and it wasn't too long ago that top ramen was the daily entree.

So the poor thing doesn't cut it for me, but I understand, don't get me wrong. We're not talking about high-end expenses here. You find the book of stamps, envelopes, paper, no not the high end stuff, just regular paper, a box of brads, washers and a some ink cartridges. Not a bad cost for getting your query out to selected agents. Just takes a little time writing some solid queries.

And no, it's not a 'ton' of agents you are sending quieries too, that's a waste of money. You send your query to agents that fit your desire and script. This takes a little research. There's several places you can find agency listings. You then select a handfull that match what you look for in an agent. Then you query, which shouldn't cost you more that 20 bucks if you're thrifty, like I was.

It boils down to desire. How bad do you want an agent? It took me a long time to find mine, but I worked my arse off for it. Dropping into a DVX forum asking for a referral will never work, and I mean never. I don't know you, and no one else does, let alone your writing abilities. I mean, I know a few fellow screenwriters that I've known for years, but I wouldn't even reccomend them to my agent. Know what I'm saying? Not trying to be rude, just laying out the facts. If someone recommends you to their agent, they are basically saying, this guy is a great writer and I put my reputation on it... That's a huge favor to ask, and it's not to be taken lightly.

As mentioned above, if that's the angle you want to take, then you better get into some screenwriting circles and network. Get to know some writers, share you work, read theirs, and after some time, after you get to know them, who knows.

Just a humble opinion of course. I'm usually way off around here, so it wouldn't be the first time.

I truly wish you the best of luck. Keep your chin up, but get your wallet out, allbeit a cobweb filled one.

:)
 
Hey Mr. Alveraz,

I can see how my post can be taken the way that you apparantly took it... Just to let you know, I already do quite a bit of what you had mentioned. I read other peoples material, and in turn they read mine as well... I'm the type of guy who, if I'm in a position to help, I will.

After only a few email exchanges with a member of this site, I let a guy I hardly knew take my DVX and Anamorphic lens for a week because he wanted to enter the hero fest and he didn't have a DVX to shoot with. He asked, and because I felt comfortable with him I let him take it, and will gladly do so again...

Another DVXer I got to know, I let him borrow my steady tracker and cobra crane. I got my steady tracker back, but the guy up and disappeared with my crane... Obviously that was a mistake, but I can't let that stop me from being who I am.

My point is Alveraz, I help people when I can, and I know that there are others out there who like to help people as well. But if you don't ask, how will they know you have a need... And I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to through a little pity party, I'm not, I'm very happy with where I am in my life, and yes I do wish I had more funds to work on getting my writing out there, but I don't... big deal though, because money being tight is not going to stop me from getting to where I want to be. and believe me, when I do get to where I want to be, I'm going to help as many people as I can get there as well.

I come from this school of thought, Alveraz... If you want to succeed in life, help somebody else. If you want that promotion, help someone else get it... May not make sense but trust me, it works...

You know what guys... I just went back and reread my original post, and you know what? I'm really sorry that you all got offended by that. I was not trying to take without giving, but trying to establish something that would be mutually beneficial to both parties. I guess the concensus is, "If I had to go through H*LL to get an agent, you're going to have to do it too..." Sorry guys, but I don't work that way... If there is anything I can do for someone I'll do it, even if it's only pointing them in the right direction...

I hope this does not convey any hard feelings, just wanted to give you some insight into where I was coming from.

SmithHouse
 
Listen. The fact you're a humanitarian is not the point. I mean, sure if someone wants to borrow my camera or something else that's fine, no problem. You keep mentioning how generous you are. That's just great, but I think you might be missing the point.

My only humble opinion, and maybe the other folks, is that lending out a lens, and refering a writer to one's agent are two completely different issues. I'm sure you're a swell, generous and affable guy. He'll you can borrow my camera, crane, waffle iron, snow cone machine, or wife anytime. But, will I recommend you to my agent?!?

Think about it. Stop being so defensive, I'm sure your nice and mean well, and I don't think anyone is attacking you, just trying to give some advice. Did you even read the suggestions regarding the cost, detailing out your queries and such?

You'll be fine I'm sure, but I would suggest slowing down, and digging into your convictions as you'll find the cost is insignificant to your desire.

again, good luck out there :)
 
... And I too think you might be missing my point as well. Some have gotten to get to know me, have read some of my material and yes they have been passed along to others such as Chis Mulkey (Radio, Broken Aaron, Ghost in the Machine), Frank Underwood (Writer, Blaire Underwoods' brother) and a producer for Disney (one of the tv shows, but a former UTA agent) but I'm not going to sit back and see what happens with this three people... I've complimented you on your work even before this thread, and I did check out some of your other material on your website as well, way cool. You definitely got your stuff together and I respect that.. A very well respected member of this forum who's daughter is a SAG actress has read two of my features and a short, and have not only given me great feedback but asked permission to pass it on to some directors they know and the literary division of the agency she's with. All because I asked, " if you like it, would you consider...blah blah blah" And we talked about how we can make this beneficial for all of us... Just like I stated in my original post, this is not about me trying to take take take but trying to develop a "partnership" for lack of better term, with someone in trying to create a win win situation... What have you got to loose if the moment presents itself... Nothing. They say no. Big deal.

Do I think recommending someone to an agent and lending out your 5,000 camera (with anamorphic lens) is in the same ballpark... Neither one is to be taken likely, that's all I can say. I'm not trying to get brownie points from anyone just because I do consider myself a giver. You and I are different, clearly... If I read a good script, and was in a position to pass it on to someone who could make a difference I would. Maybe you wouldn't, I don't know, but I think we can get pass this... I've read the posts, I've read the suggestions, and still say, It doesn't hurt to ask... When I do secure representation for myself, I'll ask the agent a simple question. "If I happen upon a great script that may be of interest to you, would you mind if I passed it along?" If he says "sure", great... If he says, "no, I'm too busy or we don't do it that way." great. I tried...


"Ask and you shall receive" and "You don't have because you don't ask" are scriptures I got from the good book, and that's good enough for me. Best of luck to you as well Alveraz.

SmithHouse
 
Smithhouse,

Alvarez has been fair and honest. Hollywood is a ruthless town. No one cares about nice, sensitive or good-will. That's the truth and that's how the town runs. Unless you have a relative in the biz...then send your stuff out to everyone and hope to hit the lottery.

We're not trying to be mean or abusive...only realistic. Register your scripts on WGAwest and don't offer management fees of 10% to an 18 year old from Nebraska (who may be the the next Spielberg but probably won't get your script shopped around the studios) and get a reel or your polished, close to perfect script passed from a friend of a friend to a studio connection. Cream will rise to the top and if your script is good then have no fear...

Please don't take this as an assault but more as a lesson to be passed on and advice from someone who was once in your position. If you're a writer then write... don't try to trade steadytracker rentals for progression in Hollywood...I guarantee anyone who's not on DVXuser.com won't know what a Steadytracker is...

Write every day...let people underestimate you...and you'll do fine....
 
After re-reading the thread...please don't tell your agent-to-be your also renting your $5000 DVX rig with anamorphic lens out as a cool selling point because they will discount you as a writer in two seconds flat. You should be anguished, sad and broke sitting over a computer with only enough cake for a Starbucks tall drip...learned the hard way....just passing it on...
 
Back
Top