Log Footage in FCPx

bduder23

Member
I am new to working with log footage and am having some issues working with it in FCPx. I am shooting in c-log with a c100 mk2. When I bring the footage into fcp it looks as you would expect, washed out. When I go to the "log processing" setting and change it to "canon log" the image gets completely blown out. Maybe I don't understand what this setting is supposed to do, but I didn't think the image would look like this when applied.

You can see the images below.

My question is, should I change this to "canon log" and adjust from there? Or should I leave it set to "none" and then go about adjusting my color.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.


San Francisco_original.jpg
Original Log Still








San Francisco_with Canon Log.jpg
Still with Canon Log setting in Log Processing
 
I haven't worked with any Canon log footage... but I do shoot & edit/grade Sony log footage in FCPX. I highly recommend using a plug in like Color Finale or even LUT utility (not affiliated with the company but am a happy user) instead of using the normal processing built in FCPX. It will allow for more finesse / control in grading than the color corrector. (or round trip with Resolve works wonderfully as well)
With the most recent update to FCPX, I believe the metadata should automatically apply the correct processing to your clips. So - not sure what's going on in that bottom still grab - are you rating camera at a different ISO than what log signal is capturing? (that may not be the same the way it is done when shooting with Sony)
 
Your images are overexposed compared to what the "correct" exposure for C-Log is. When FCPX applies the built-in LUT, it assumes you exposed at the levels recommended by Canon. You exposed to the right, (rightfully so) so you need to apply a LUT to the image that compensates for that overexposure. https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/

Look up LUTCalc and create some C-Log to REC709 LUTs that are compensated for 1, 2 and 3 stops over. Then apply those LUTs with a 3rd party effect, for example, mLUT by MotionVFX: https://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-68.html
 
Thanks for the responses and links. Really my first time shooting with this camera. Probably a little ambitious to start shooting in c-log. It seems like plug ins and 3rd party apps are the way to go.
 
Open the color corrector tool and the waveform tool and lower the exposure setting until the hottest whites are just under 100 ire. Lift the blacks above zero if necessary.
 
Thanks for the responses and links. Really my first time shooting with this camera. Probably a little ambitious to start shooting in c-log. It seems like plug ins and 3rd party apps are the way to go.

Other software/apps may result in the same thing. As Nate mentioned, exposure is super important when shooting any type of LOG and using certain LUTs in post. The most insignificant change in lighting may make a significant difference in the end result.

Just a friendly tip...if you ever use a monitor that allows you to load/preview LUTs, it will change your entire production experience.
 
You might try these LUTs for Canon Log in FCPX. I've had good luck with the C100 Canon Log footage I've tried. Leave FCPX's "log processing" setting on "none" when using the LUTs.
 
I imported some log footage into FCPX lately from the C300 Mk2,
i tried using the Coremelt LutX plugin but found I got better results with the FCPX colour tool and a contrast effect added, maybe too punchy for some but client was happy

https://vimeo.com/201830600

LH2017
 
Hi TubEfingers, nice work, may I ask what crane arrangement you used for those sweeping shots.
 
Thanks @Vultch, we used a "Milo" Motion Control rig for the shoot, great piece of kit!

https://www.mrmoco.com/cranes-rigs/products/rigs/milo/specs/

we exposed correctly using waveforms on the monitor but as with the OP, any lut's added made the image way too contrasty, we're using a similar set up for the client later this month so I'll be doing more research into Canon Log ahead of the shoot
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and links. Really my first time shooting with this camera. Probably a little ambitious to start shooting in c-log. It seems like plug ins and 3rd party apps are the way to go.

Or learn to do it yourself by hand. I shot with the C300 in Canon log many many times and never once used a LUT in post unless I had something pre made during testing.

A good way to work within the Canon log parameters on the camera itself however, is to have the VF to show a rec.709 image (basically Canon log with rec. 709 LUT applied as it would look in FCPX after applying Canon Log LUT)
 
Back
Top