lights in maya

surf

Veteran
I would like to duplicate a light in maya as an instance, but it does not work. It does not have any light. why does this happen? how could I solve this problem?
 
Can't you group them and create a simple expresion to control the intensity?

Or just select them all and change the intensity...

Instancing is more for texturing I believe
 
Heck, put a cube in your scene and link light intensity to Y/10.. higher the
cube goes... brighter lights get.
 
rezn said:
Or just select them all and change the intensity...
that would be the easiest but does not work :(

I think I will have to create a new expression for example for a cube. Thanks the advices!
 
surf said:
that would be the easiest but does not work :(

I think I will have to create a new expression for example for a cube. Thanks the advices!


You cannot use the Atribute Editor to change attributes on multiple objects at once. You can however use the Channel box to do this. Simply select all the lights and enter the new value in the Channel Box. You can also use the Attribute Spread Sheet to change multiple attributes.
 
Can't you just instance them? It seems like you're all coming up with a whole variety of obnoxious and obsucated routes to instancing.

Or can maya not instance lights? I haven't need to in Maya yet, so I don't know how feasible that is, but I do it in Max all the time, with no problems.
 
Yes instancing does the trick in Maya too. I personally don't because I like to have control over each light separately, hence I use the channel box or spreadsheet.
 
so now, I have made on orange in 3D. I should composite it with real shots. but I cannot find a good way to lighten the orange up! (the shot is cloudy, so, there is no direct sunshine, just constant everywhere) what do you recommend, how to do it?
 
Last edited:
not sure if this is what your aiming for...
but you should render the orange with an alpha channel and then comp your orange into your live scene.
 
you can then get greater controls using the Alpha channel in AE (or whatever) to brighten up your object.
 
Back
Top