Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Phil

Veteran
When just starting out, I wasn't really thinking about lighting, more about the script, but I've noticed, some of you posting pics, and would you say one of the most important factors to a good shoot is lighting...

I've been buying book after book lately...Clearly being a writer/director/producer/everything...is crazy...I feel like I've been studying forever.

Is there a good lighting for film book you recommend?

P.S. The "painting with light" thing you guys say is very true...still or moving.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

I'm sorry, I was thinking about cinematography...but I should've put this in lighting...sorry
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

"Film Lighting" by Kris Malkiewicz covers the basics of film lighting (also applicable to video.)  

That said, if you're doing everything yourself, you'd better go out and practice.  There really is no substitute for actual experience. An enormous amount of hard-won expertise goes into every good looking video or film. If you've been putting all your energy into the script, you might want to consider finding someone who can put just as much energy into the photography.  A good DP can make the difference between a clearly amateur show and a polished production.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Word. Kenn speaks the truth.

If you want to study cinematography, Malkiewicz has written a few books that are pretty good... "Cinematography" was another one.

Practice, practice, practice. And use real lights, with real barn doors and flags and blackwrap, so you can actually control and shape the light.

And, lighting isn't everything. (oops, did I just speak blasphemy?) I know everyone bows at the altar of lighting, but production design/art direction is as important, or more important, than the lighting of the production. What you put in front of the camera is every bit as important as how you light it. Proper lighting skills can make a blank white wall look more interesting, but nothing compares to casting light onto a rich textured brick wall, rustic colors, some rusty iron grates, thick lush grass, etc.

So yes, lighting is vital. But having an artist/designer putting together scenes that will look interesting to the camera is perhaps the most overlooked part of independent video productions, and it can make ALL the difference.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Does film cinematography apply to digital cinematography.
I thought there are some major differences.

cinematography by Malkiewicz that book I have, but I haven't read it because I won't be shooting in film, I want to find out about digital cinematography.

TheAmateurPro, check these books out, I have't got them yet but I'm thinking of buying them...

Lighting for Digital Video & Television
by John Jackman

Digital Cinematography
by Paul Wheeler
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Cinematography for film and for video are very nearly the same. For video it's a little harder to get proper contrast ratios, you have less latitude to work with, but you also have the benefit of what-you-see-is-what-you-get on the monitor (versus film, where of course you have to wait for it to be developed!)

Books like "Cinematography" are going to teach dramatic narrative styles. Books like "Lighting For Digital Video & Television" are going to focus on things like interview lighting, etc.

Read both, learn both styles. But definitely study proper cinematography tomes if that's the type of style you want your shooting to have.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

[quote author=Woodson link=board=news;num=1079459612;start=0#4 date=03/16/04 at 12:56:50]Does film cinematography apply to digital cinematography.
I thought there are some major differences.
[/quote]

I read that the DP for 28 Days Later just lit the movie the same as he would if they were using film. Although I am sure they had some nice lenses with the XL1's they used...
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

I would second the John Jackman book. Did my first lighting gig and went back a reread his book. WOW now I get it!!! imho it is a good place to start, every library should have it. 8)
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Practice Practice Practice...I think that is the key, So I'll get the John Jackman book. I work right next to a Barnes and Nobles, they have most of these books, its like a library, I go in there and read like crazy...

Being an artist my whole life, I do feel I have a sense of composition. But I can't wait until I can post something so you all can review it!
Thanks for the tips...
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Elvis, did you just check it out from the library or did you buy it? If you own it, where did you get it? Amateur pro, did you see if B&N has it yet?
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Thanks amateur pro, i might just have to make my way over to amazon and order myself a copy, unless off course its cheaper at B&N but i highly doubt it.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Elvis, exactly how big is your library? Do you have anything else you would recommend?
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Luke,
At B&N, it was out and $37, so it looks like I'm off to Amazon too!

Elvis has a big library? I knew about the guitar shaped pool, but not the library...heh

I started reading books on lighting, through my college painting classes, I had been using key, fill, and back lights all along.
But when I looked at the serious lighting set ups, I can see where the years of expertise can help!
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Cinematography: Theory and Practice by Blain Brown is great. I've started reading it. It covers a wide range of topics and is very comprehensive including many picture references.
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

I went to amazon to get jackmans book and they are having a deal when you get his book and "producing great sound for digital video" by Jay Rose. Its like 55 bucks for the two. Has anyone heard anything about this book by Jay Rose?
 
Re: Lighting is really important/Lighting books?

Jay's got quite a good reputation. He's a columnist for DV magazine and he administers the audio forum at DV.com.

No firsthand experience with the book though.
 
Back
Top