Legalities of adapting short story

Filmfanatic

Active member
I'm getting the DVX100A in about a week or two. I just read a short story by a well known writer that I thought
would make a good first short film. My idea is to take the core dramatic event and change it to a different location and different characters etc. etc. I'm new to this so I don't know if what I plan to do is okay or considered stealing or wrong in any way. More than anything I want to do the 'right thing'. Is there a way to do this that is considered okay and above board or is it an out and out no,no? I can't afford royalties but if whatever I shoot is any good I want to send it to film festivals. Thanks
 
Re: Legalities of adapting short story

If you do not have the rights to the story, don't even bother to write the script. No film festival will accept an adaption without proof of authorization.

Also, any public display would be a violation of the copyright.
 
Re: Legalities of adapting short story

It also depends on how much you are taking from the story. Is it the idea that inspires you or is it a definative take from the story?

You would be surprised at how easy it is to get rights from a publsiher/author. Obviously, trying to get Stephen King or John Grisham rights will cost you tons of cash, but is this author a little known or known at all?

Track down the author or publisher and see what you can find out.
 
Re: Legalities of adapting short story

Well, even if just the basic plot is taken from the story, that's a copyright violation. (Jubal *knows* IP.) Even your posting above could potentially be enough to establish misappropriation of the story, or at least work against you.

But yes, you can always try to secure the rights. Even if the author is well-known, if it's a fairly old story, the rights may be out there for taking on the cheap. Heck, sometimes if you just catch someone in the right mood . . .
 
Re: Legalities of adapting short story

Thanks for the very helpful info. I'm going to ditch my plan and come up with something original.
It seems the best way to go.

Thanks for adding this catagory to this site. Very valuable on many levels.
 
Re: Legalities of adapting short story

Just contact the writers agent/publisher and ask if the rights are for sale. Stephen King is strange when it comes to rights. He sells his rights for a dollar on some titles. Side note though. Don't bother trying to buy the rights to books that are on any best seller list. Movie studios buy the rights to all books that hit that list, even if they don't plan on making it into a movie.
 
Back
Top