L'Eclisse

D_and_G

Well-known member
Caught this the other day. It's one of the most gorgeous B&W films I've seen. Some might find it very slow, but I felt it captured the era and ephemeral quality love pretty well. Still, I am a little perplexed why its not held in as high esteem of some of Anonioni's other works.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056736/

I wonder if this film would ever get made today ? They don't leave room like this in films or cinema today, in my opinion.

I love finding little gems like these. Anybody else seen it ?

:beer:

Cheers.
 
I've been wanting to see this film for a while now.

I think I might have to check it out soon.

I for one am a great fan of Antonioni, but have only seen just a handful of his movies.

My favorite would have to be "Blowup", followed closely by "L' Avventura".

Have you seen any of these?

I must admit though that his segment in "Eros" sucked hard ( so did Soderbergh's, thank god for Hong Kong Wong ).

To bad so few people have even heard of him.
 
Yup. I think Blowup is his "classic" too. While I admired L'Avventura for the cinematography , direction and acting, I found it a little more inaccessible due to the way he scripted the theme in the movie. I understood where he was going with it, but for some reason it wasn't as engaging as L'Eclisse.

With L'Eclisse, it was a great distillation down to the essence of what he was getting at in the trilogy, in my opinion.

Also, what was great about the movie was the economy with which he approached his characters. There's a scene in the movie between mother and daughter that tells you everything you need to know about there relationship, in the simplest way possible. Antonioni is a visual storyteller in the truest sense. And like some of my favorite directors, the true impact of the movie sneaks up on you, up until the final scene where it suddenly has amazing resonance.

I stilll haven't seen "Eros", but will look out for it. I like the idea of taking a subject and having different directors interpret it. I once thought that a multidirector'd (made up that word just now :)) shoot of Kieslowski's Decalogue would be fascinating. Of course, you'd have some shorts that sucked too, I guess.

Also, loved the poster of L'Eclisse.

Thanks for responding. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in this film (B&W, Italian neorealism and all) :beer:


Cheers.
 
Back
Top