Jarred, Barry and rest of the gang, we all here miss you!

I prefer the longer form, more thought out response type format of forums compared to the new instant quick hit approach on Reddit and Discord. It just lowers the bar for quality interaction imho. So many things going in different directions that it just turns into entertainment level with jokes etc... Meanwhile anything substantial just slows down the pace which is not desired.

I don't think that necessarily represents old, but rather learning how to be serious about your craft and do serious things - which is difficult.

Reddit has some good info, but as someone who has just entered their 50s I feel like a dinosaur there.. One thing that does really bother me about SM and even Reddit is it seems like a lot of younger filmmakers are posting their work and framing it as looking for criticism, but in reality I think they're just seeking approval from their peers. IMO SM has really turned art into an approval process where there's a great deal of pressure on young creators to conform to whatever is in vogue. This is the kiss of death for art...
 
The approval process is the same on all platforms [with everything]...check out Threads; the amount of affirmation present is unimaginable.

It all just goes back to everyone wanting to be loved, which is not so bad.

BTW, htf are you 50 already? I thought you were just a few years older than I was, early 40s at most, lol.
 
The approval process is the same on all platforms [with everything]...check out Threads; the amount of affirmation present is unimaginable.

It all just goes back to everyone wanting to be loved, which is not so bad.

BTW, htf are you 50 already? I thought you were just a few years older than I was, early 40s at most, lol.

I look like early 40s ;) I started here with dvxuser in 2005 and I was a late starter in film. I really didn't get into production until I was in my 30s, a result of being a disillusioned screenwriter..
 
Hey, I'm old enough to remember being one of the original participants of a USENET group that was then invited by Geoff Boyle to join his email group the Cinematography Mailing List (CML). Now I'm a moderator there but the activity has gone from a couple hundred posts a day to 3-5 posts. Times change and people shift the way they prefer to communicate. My Feb 2009 join date here is actually from when I returned to this group having been away an unable to recall my old login. I think I started in the early 2000s.
 
Hey, I'm old enough to remember being one of the original participants of a USENET group that was then invited by Geoff Boyle to join his email group the Cinematography Mailing List (CML). Now I'm a moderator there but the activity has gone from a couple hundred posts a day to 3-5 posts. Times change and people shift the way they prefer to communicate. My Feb 2009 join date here is actually from when I returned to this group having been away an unable to recall my old login. I think I started in the early 2000s.

You know, I just couldn't deal with the interface on CML, even though there was good info and good people in there. I'd dip in and out but couldn't really participate for long. I much preferred messsage boards.
 
Hey, I'm old enough to remember being one of the original participants of a USENET group that was then invited by Geoff Boyle to join his email group the Cinematography Mailing List (CML). Now I'm a moderator there but the activity has gone from a couple hundred posts a day to 3-5 posts. Times change and people shift the way they prefer to communicate. My Feb 2009 join date here is actually from when I returned to this group having been away an unable to recall my old login. I think I started in the early 2000s.

I think most of us joined shortly after we got our DVX100 ;)
 
the copyright at the bottom of the forum says 2003 so probably hit, or will, 20 years this year.

if so and there's no party, i'm :crybaby:
 
Good points about YouTube. It is a resource.

Yeah when I started DVXuser there was no Youtube, there was no Facebook, I don't even think Myspace was around yet... social media just didn't exist. I started it to learn from others... now I think Youtube kinda does that very well in a medium that is pretty instant. Instead of asking question on a forum and waiting for an answer, it is more having a question and searching youtube for an answer for at least for most people, and facebook kinda captures the rest of the bits.
 
Well I have to admit, forums also represent a hangout for industry peers or just like minded individuals. Sadly this culture is fading.
 
Yeah when I started DVXuser there was no Youtube, there was no Facebook, I don't even think Myspace was around yet... social media just didn't exist. I started it to learn from others... now I think Youtube kinda does that very well in a medium that is pretty instant. Instead of asking question on a forum and waiting for an answer, it is more having a question and searching youtube for an answer for at least for most people, and facebook kinda captures the rest of the bits.

Thanks for keeping DVXuser alive for so long Jarred. For a guy who couldn't afford to go to film school, it's been my film school and a great source of info for thousands of filmmakers...
 
Pookie. We all miss Pookie.

True...but you had to have a thick skin to play at his level. He was honest.

And from Scorsesefan:

"One thing that does really bother me about SM and even Reddit is it seems like a lot of younger filmmakers are posting their work and framing it as looking for criticism, but in reality, I think they're just seeking approval from their peers."

Yup , totally agree after decades of interactions - not looking for constructive criticism; just approval. Pookie would destroy many of them.
 
Hey, I'm old enough to remember being one of the original participants of a USENET group.

Likewise in the late 80s though I was on BBS in the late 70s and 80s. Things come and go.

Yeah when I started DVXuser there was no Youtube, there was no Facebook, I don't even think Myspace was around yet... social media just didn't exist.

These days saying that is like "what do you mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings!?!?" Those platforms have been around nearly 20 years now (time flies) so for anyone under 30 they don't seem to have a comprehension of a time before social media. (more so in some countries than others) I can remember when Bebo and Myspace were going to change the world. Yet at the time USENET still prevailed and we could not comprehend a time without it. (even though I had built web sites in the mid 90s)

The problem DVXuser has is (Jarred can probably see the stats) I think we all spend a lot more time on the forum during COVID and as we have got back out into the world and doing things we are spending less time chatting on forums. Then people got out of the habit a bit. It remains to be seen if the pendulum swings back to more use of this forum or people end up elsewhere.

I started on DVX users in 2012 (as JAgraphics before becoming JAmedia in 2019) when I got a Panasonic AC90. It has been a great resource for all sorts of things. However tin the AC160/130/90 group there has only been one post and two replies in 2023! I have moved on to other Panasonic's but I don't need to ask the same questions as I did a decade ago.

YouTube channels seem to be where people are but that is a one way forum (despite the comments sections) No idea where it will all go. That said If DVXuser completes 20 years that is one hell of an achievement and maybe bowing out with a virtual party is the thing to do. A great shame but everything evolves (well except fundamental religions people :-) ) and moves on or we would all still be using wet film...
 
I still pop in here from time to time, and while activity has inevitably dwindled, it's still nice to see some signs of life here. One of my fav old school forums of all time.
 
I still lurk around from time to time, but I've moved onto another forum that is slanted more toward the craft of filmmaking and less about various cameras. Between that, YouTube and Reddit, it still feels like the old days for me. DVX User used to be an exciting place where there were at least five or so indie features being made by various members at any given time, but lately it's become more of a camera forum which is of little interest to me.
 
Back
Top