Jack Daniel Stanley - Is that you?

jamestmather

Well-known member
So there I am, flying to a job and drinking as much Chablis as the stewardess will shovel in to me (doncha just l o v e Business Class?) when I decide to check out the movies - Deja Vu on file - pop on the headphones, it's a pretty enjoyable romp - tony scott leaving a shot on screen for more than half a second for a change - when suddenly wtf? - hold on - rewind...yes, I'm pretty certain it is - my old Bete noir Jack Daniel Stanley forensically dissecting a crime scene...I've clearly had too much chablis or the cabin pressure is getting to me. :huh:

Or is it just a doppelganger thing?

Over to you, Jack.:)
 
Last edited:
Before seeing it, I told the lady who sold the tickets and the guy who tore the tickets, that my buddy Jack was in that flick.

Of course I haven't confirmed if I'm even allowed to call JDS my "buddy". But I'm 10,000 miles away, what can he do about it?
 
jamestmather said:
So there I am, flying to a job and drinking as much Chablis as the stewardess will shovel in to me (doncha just l o v e Business Class?) when I decide to check out the movies - Deja Vu on file - pop on the headphones, it's a pretty enjoyable romp - tony scott leaving a shot on screen for more than half a second for a change - when suddenly wtf? - hold on - rewind...yes, I'm pretty certain it is - my old Bete noir Jack Daniel Stanley forensically dissecting a crime scene...I've clearly had too much chablis or the cabin pressure is getting to me. :huh:

Or is it just a doppelganger thing?

Over to you, Jack.:)

Wow, you two must be really tight.
 
Terry_Lasater said:
Wow, you two must be really tight.


You make it sound so sordid. it was only one night as we watched the cattle on the mountain.

Jack and I crossed swords (in a combat sense - on the board (since cleaned up by moderators) and it was nearly HVX's at dawn out in the parking lot but we backed down and pride was saved. I recognised him from macgregors great flick "18 seconds".
 
jamestmather said:
You make it sound so sordid. it was only one night as we watched the cattle on the mountain.

Jack and I crossed swords (in a combat sense - on the board (since cleaned up by moderators) and it was nearly HVX's at dawn out in the parking lot but we backed down and pride was saved. I recognised him from macgregors great flick "18 seconds".
:thumbsup: :)
 
Yep. C'est moi.

4X5deja.gif
 
Jack, my old nemesis. Way to go. I'm sure a day on a set watching Mr. Scott and Paul Cameron do their thing was interesting. I have to say I enjoyed Deja Vu - nice to see Tony Scott dropping the epilepsy-inducing editing and letting the film breathe for a change. he's a great pictures director IMHO - and still as innovative and noisy as ever at 63.
 
Because of the incentives in New Orleans there was/is a film boom. So when I was there, even though I had been pursuing a professional directing career and had never pursued an acting career professionally, there was just too much going on and it was just to easy to get an agent, especially with a BFA in acting and an MFA in directing (theatre directing), that I had no excuse to not get off my butt and get an agent and start auditioning.

So I auditioned, got called back before Tony Scott, got the part.

DVXuser and Tony Scott and Denzel Washington all helped tip the scales in my favor to get it,

Scott and Washington because they were committed to putting as many New Orleanians to work as possible.

DVXuser because the call back was on the last drop dead due date to submit for DVXuser SciFest. I had not finished my film and Tony Scott was 4 hours late (due to his plane I think). Any other time I would have been peeing on myself that I was about to go in and audition for the director of True Romance. But under the circumstances I was more worried about letting my friends and collaborators down due to the possibility of not finishing ODD Squad and uploading it by the end of the day and completely annoyed that the audition was 4 hours behind.

So I treated Scott and the audition more like dropping off my dry cleaning than some big movie deal - like it was just some pain in the ass errand that I had to run that day and needed to get over with in order to upload my DVXuser movie. Kept me from being nervous and kept me from trying to be too interesting in a one line functionary role.

I actually cut Scott off in the middle of his direction to me and more or less summed up what he was asking for before he had a chance to finish, lol.
 
Back
Top