Is this a good spec and price for a Premiere optimised PC build

Ivor C

Active member
I'm getting recommendations and quotes for a new Premiere Pro PC system. I intend to get a Sony FS5 and edit mostly in 1080 on it, but occassinaly in 4K.

what do folks think of these recommendations? Is there anything you would change or upgrade for approx. £500 more? Incidentally I intend to install 3 of my own SSD's into it upon arrival.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Case
Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor – Overclocked up to 4.4GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus X99-A Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard
64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz Memory
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Graphics Card
256GB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive
Corsair RM 750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)
2 Port FireWire 800 + 1 Port FireWire 400 PCI Express Card
3x Icy Dock MB971SP-B 5.25 inch Hot Swap Drive Caddy (2.5” + 3.5”)

Total inc VAT, delivered: £3032.56
 
Great setup. Very similar to the one I recently built. You will enjoy the Phanteks case. It's very clean looking and not one of those over-the-top, atrocious looking cases.

Be sure you have some money left for some extra hard drives to put in your build and for a good monitor. I went with the Samsung 34" curved monitor. Absolutely love it.

You could probably save some money if you ordered all the parts and built the thing yourself....but then you probably wouldn't have the Collect and Return warranty.
 
I've just had this system delivered but the supplier swapped the case for a Fractal Design Define XL Low Noise Case and the cooler for a Be-Quiet Dark Rock 2 Silent CPU cooler. They said this would make it quieter for the same price, so I was fine with that. What I didn't notice until I recieved the invoice was the overclocked CPU speed had been dropped to 4.3Ghz instead of the originally quoted 4.4Ghz.


Ok, I'm guessing the loss of 0.1Ghz isn't the end of the world particularly if it will be a bit quiter. But now that this PC has been delivered in the BIOS settings under Ai Tweaker it is showing the target CPU turbo-mode frequency as 4000Mhz. I have also installed CPU-Z and stress-loaded the CPU and the maximum it achieves is 4Ghz.


So is this PC ever likely to come close to 4.3Ghz in the real world? Secondly would that extra 0.3Ghz make a tangible difference when editing with Premiere Pro?


I need to decide how to engage the supplier over this, but don't want to go through all the hassle if it doesn't really make much difference in reality.
 
When I asked the supplier about the difference, this was their response:

That is a very good question.
In typical everyday use I would just run my PC in ‘Stock’ profile (ie no overclock) as in reality average user like me rarely goes ‘CPU Bound’.
But as you are not an average user please do a typical rendering session and using Windows built-in ‘Resource Monitor’ monitor the CPU usage to see if it hits a continuous 100% or not
If it hits 100% on all cores and just sticks to it continuously that would suggest your application is CPU Bound and would probably benefit from an increase in CPU speed.
 
I've never been much of one for overclocking. It used to be a fairly dangerous hack, but now it's baked into the cake, so I have my doubts as to its actual benefit. Seems like these days it's used more as a marketing tool than anything. I'm sure it does SOMETHING, but I'm not convinced it's much.
 
Overclocking the cpu wears down the life of the cpu if its constantly being pushed. I leave my cpu's stock.
 
I do a mild overclock, 3.5-4GHz on my i7-4770K. But for video editing rock solid stability is more important than absolute speed. My major bottleneck is always the data transfer rates of the hard drives.
 
Thats more or less my setup.... Except I have 3 ssds and only 32gb ram.

It does not chew through 4K in Premiere.......... Not even in 1/4 resolution.
But then again, Premiere aint exactly good at using cores, I havent seen PP or AE use more then 2, max 3 cores.

It is however nice to do 3D on on a basic level.
 
Back
Top