Is the XL H1 lens any better than the XL2s?

If this is true, this is very interesting. Isn't the high price of the XL-H1 the result of using an "HD lens"?

Not sure how much i trust the "test". How can this be verified? Who did it? All there is is some text and a couple of pictures. I mean if this guy is telling the truth then sure it should give pause however you can't believe everything you see on the internet. And that goes double for hastily constructed anonymous webpages.

On a side note, at B&H you can test the XL-2 and XL-H1 side by side on this little model town they have set up. I will have to go back when I have more time but from the few minutes I did spend i only saw marked improvements over image quality, however that was just on viewing it through an LCD and external monitor.

Upon further inspection of the site, Eidomedia.com. It appears as though the guy is a Sony FX1 fan however running a pretty respectable business so I guess that lends some weight to his test. Unfortunately I can't read some of the Italian that appears on the rest of the site. Perhaps one of the friendly Italian board members could provide some translation of the main site.

The Machinist said:
On a side note, at B&H you can test the XL-2 and XL-H1 side by side on this little model town they have set up. I will have to go back when I have more time but from the few minutes I did spend i only saw marked improvements over image quality, however that was just on viewing it through an LCD and external monitor.

I believe this is the XLH1 using the XL2 lens, not the XL2 itself.

It's not only a website, eidomedia is a credit genovese company. They know what they are talking about.

A couple weeks ago we had a H1 at our facility for a few hours. Spent most of the time verifying mechanical data etc.

Very quickly put the XL2 20X and 16X manual lens on the camera looking at our own test chart on a Sony 23" HD LCD Monitor.

Was the new lens better? yes , especially near wide open off axis-near the edge of the field. (noted that Pete Bauer's test were at F 4- 5.6 according to his notes). Did the non HD lenses look awful? no.

We dont have a 3X Canon zoom so I can't comment on that.

The XL2 lens is quite good, and it can cost a lot to make a good lens better. What I can say is the new lens is not the old one painted black.

Bill Turner
Schneider Optics
Century Division

Back