Invoice, contract or both?

roxics

Veteran
Doing some freelance work. This is corporate video work like I've done for nearly a decade now, but I've never done the paperwork side of it before since I work for a company with project managers that handle that. I just shoot and edit.

Curious if I should just send an invoice before doing the work that lays out the prices and services I'll be performing or if they should sign a contract before the work is started?
 
Really depend.
Sometimes they ask for an estimate with a final invoice stating the actual prices after the job.

Sometimes they want a contract with an estimate.
 
Before you do the work, it's an estimate, quote or bid. It's only an invoice after you do the work.
 
Depending on the scope of work, you get increased protection as you move up the following:

1. Invoice after the fact (risky).
2. Invoice setting the price with a request for partial advance payment (you have a "contract" if they respond with the payment, but you have little control over extras that may arise as things change).
3. Quote for scope of work, referencing the incremental cost for extras if, as and when there are changes to the scope of work (again, you need a response in the form of sign and return, or a PO).
4. Written contract, detailing scope, how extras will be handled, other terms and conditions, each page initialed by both parties, signature/title/organization/date of signing by both parties on the last page.

Why not a contract all of the time? Answer, it is overkill for small jobs, may scare off the client for medium jobs.

For any large job, a contract is needed, in my view.
 
Definitely depends on the job and client in question. Are these people that you've worked with consistently? I know you mentioned that you've worked on similar shoots before.
 
Back
Top