Interview with The Sports Gene author

The author, David Epstein, was on the radio today. He mentioned an update on the study of genes from the study done a decade ago. I thought it was interesting when he said "the new definition of 'talent' is becoming: your innate biological setup that allows you to profit more from the identical training than your teammate might..."

Coincidentally (for us who read/participated in the thread), the host asked him about Gladwell's "10,000 hours" theory and he pointed out that the study was done on 30 violinists who were accepted into a world famous music academy and that the 10,000 hours were pretty much an average of individual differences. I personally found the "10,000 hours" thread engaging but I'm sure most would rather not read/revisit that discussion right now. Although this book is focused on sports, it's pretty obvious to me the ideas apply to the arts and screenwriting as well as many aspects of human life. Hopefully, the book and interview provide new and interesting information on the topic. It's still about the effort :Drogar-Mark-01(DBG)

Interview starts at 43:15 - http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/mediaPlayer2.html?type=audio&id=tp130809beyond_stoli_and_sno

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sports-Ge...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1591845114
 
Yeah, it's a no-win debate.

People who haven't done 10,000 hours tend to make them up - "I started writing when I was in kindergarten" "I started thinking about stories the first time I saw Bambi."
 
Back
Top