Egg Born Son
Veteran
Any film with 'less' story, I ask: what's the point? Waste people's time? Waste your investor's money? If you don't want to tell a story, what is it that you want in a movie?
A movie can also be a work of beauty. To be a story it needs certain elements but to be a movie, really it just has to consist of projected light and move. Perhaps a third requirement is a formal screen because I don't know if video installation art should qualify since it is trying to create a 'space' rather than a framed viewing experience (you immerse yourself in a movie, you don't inhabit it). To be a good movie it just needs to hold your attention. A movie also does not need to make money if it is art. It is difficult however to produce a movie that will hold attention over a feature length but many shorts, particularly animation will employ a purely visceral aesthetic. As long as you keep the viewer curious as to what might happen next they will watch.
As far as story-less films go there are obviously Powaqqatsi (1988) and Naqoyqatsi (2002), follow-ons from Koyaanisqatsi.
There was one european film I saw a while ago that was less out of the mold of these 'documentary' style suggestions featuring carefully constructed and choreographed scenes of visceral and disturbing beauty. I thought it might have been Lars von Trier but I can't find a title in his filmography that rings a bell. As I recall one of the key images in the trailer was of a heavily made up statuesque man, on a pillar and wrapped in a billowing red sheet. It was quite controversial, probably due to sexually explicit material. Critics were unusually passionate and heavily divided, most hating it.
On a more family orientated note, Fantasia viewed from the perspective of a collection of shorts featured some segments that focussed more on the imagery complementing the music than storytelling. Again taken in isolation, apparently the slit scan section of 2001 is credited with pulling in enough (presumably baked) people to keep a largely ignored 2001 in the cinema long enough to gain more widespread appreciation.