Insurance???

kevcol

Member
I just got a DVX100b (and Barry's book), and I have a few shooting gigs coming up (including Lollapalooza next month.) I'm wondering if I should get insurance on my camera, in case it gets busted or stolen while I'm on the road.

Does anyone have any recommendation on that? And of companies that are good to deal with?

Thanks,
Kevin
 
Some home owner's polices and renter's polices will cover accidents and theft of items. I'm not sure if you use the camera for a professional use the police might change.

All of my stuff is covered by State Farm for a very low price, but I'm not a professional.

Rob
 
be careful with the homeowners type policy. my agent showed me where there are several loopholes in it and basically said if it gets broken/stolen outside the home you're screwed.
 
Most local insurance places from my research are not that helpful. Videography is pretty specialized. Their are insurance companies and/or people out there who know the business. If you pay something like $75 bucks or something at wedj.com for a listing then you qualify to apply for their insurance program which sounds really good. Hope that helps.
 
Try safeware.com - it's mostly for computers but you can also slide in personal effects like video cameras for a reasonable fee
 
I'd be careful w/respect to thinking only your camera should be covered. What if you drop your camera on someone's head and they end up in the hospital, or you tripod falls over and breaks something at the venue?

You might want to consider forming a company to cover your "gigs", at which point you can purchase insurance for your business that will not only cover your gear, but would also provide you some liability coverage. Having said that, I formed an LLC ($300 - $500) and purchased a policy ($400 per year) that provides a level of coverage if my gear is stolen. It provides NO coverage if it gets broken.

It's fair to say other providers might have different options/coverages.

I think the liability part of it is essential if you're doing work for hire.

Cheers,

Tim Scarpino
 
be careful with the homeowners type policy. my agent showed me where there are several loopholes in it and basically said if it gets broken/stolen outside the home you're screwed.

Good point, my personal articles insurance covered my camera drop, as it's stated in the policy of accidental damage or theft. The only thing not covered is wear and tear, like replacing a battery because it doesn't hold a charge any more.

Downside is they will usually repair the item, and if the repair is more than the item, give you the money for a new item.
 
Back
Top