Install FCPx on new partion?

Erik Naso

Veteran
I have been on vacation for a week and boy did I miss all the fun. I'm going to download FCP X regardless of the issues so I can get my head around this new NLE next week but wanted to see if people are making a new partition or just installing it along side studio. Apple recommends a new partition but that seems like a pain in the butt. I will do it to be safe since my mac pro is my main system however if installing along side FCP7 isn't an issue I will go for it.
 
Last edited:
I set up a 100GB partition, with the intent of placing my "Legacy Apps" on it (FCP Studio and Adobe CS3), then installed FCPX on the operating system partition.

When I went to install FCP Studio, I realized it refuses to be on a drive other than the operating system, so now I have both apps on the same partition. I wonder if I can uninstall FCPX and place it on the other partition (although I didn't notice any install settings going through the App Store).

Any idea why Apple recommends they're on separate partitions?
 
I set up a 100GB partition, with the intent of placing my "Legacy Apps" on it (FCP Studio and Adobe CS3), then installed FCPX on the operating system partition.

When I went to install FCP Studio, I realized it refuses to be on a drive other than the operating system, so now I have both apps on the same partition. I wonder if I can uninstall FCPX and place it on the other partition (although I didn't notice any install settings going through the App Store).

Any idea why Apple recommends they're on separate partitions?

My understanding is that future plugins could cause some trouble if the are both on the same partition. But, if you are not a plugin user, it might not be that big a deal...
 
I have FCP X on the same system drive with FCP Studio, not partitioned. I save events and projects to a separate dedicated media drive, not on the default Movies folder. Works for me.
 
When I installed on the same hard drive, it asked whether I wanted to overwrite the old FCP 7. Thinking it will just replace the icon, I answer "yes". Now I can't find Final Cut Studio folder in applications folder or the FCP 7 application anywhere. Is there a way to retrieve the "old" FCP 7 applications after Final Cut Pro X has already been installed ?
 
I forgot that I have FCP Studio 2 at home (FCP Studio 3 at work), which perhaps is why I'm unable to install both FCP6 and FCPX on the same startup disk. (The rest of Studio installed, but I've noticed Compressor doesn't work.) I guess I'll have to partition a separate startup disk to run Studio on.
 
I have FCP X on the same system drive with FCP Studio, not partitioned. I save events and projects to a separate dedicated media drive, not on the default Movies folder. Works for me.

I have the same arrangement, but I also have Motion 5. When I open a Motion file on my fcp7 timeline, it tries to open in Motion 5. I have since installed fcpx & Motion 5 on a separate drive, but I'm nervous about trying to uninstall fcpx & Motion 5 from my fcp7 drive in the event that it tries to uninstall both fcpx & fcp7. Any suggestions?
 
I have the same arrangement, but I also have Motion 5. When I open a Motion file on my fcp7 timeline, it tries to open in Motion 5. I have since installed fcpx & Motion 5 on a separate drive, but I'm nervous about trying to uninstall fcpx & Motion 5 from my fcp7 drive in the event that it tries to uninstall both fcpx & fcp7. Any suggestions?

Try this:

Left click a Motion file, Get Info, Open with, choose Motion in the drop down, click Change All, and confirm
 
When I installed on the same hard drive, it asked whether I wanted to overwrite the old FCP 7. Thinking it will just replace the icon, I answer "yes". Now I can't find Final Cut Studio folder in applications folder or the FCP 7 application anywhere. Is there a way to retrieve the "old" FCP 7 applications after Final Cut Pro X has already been installed ?

Installing FCP X creates a new folder in Applications called Final Cut Studio. All previous FC Studio applications are moved here and their icons deleted from the dock. This move disables round-tripping between the old FC Studio apps.

To undo and keep FC Studio apps working seamlessly as before, see this tutorial: http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/video-tutorial-how-to-run-fcp-7-and-fcp-x-on-the-same-computer/
 
Last edited:
Back
Top